charlie oriez wrote:

> I'm running Mandrake 8.0
> I have a soundblaster 16 sound card
> I get sound on the Win2000 side of my box but not the linux side.
>
> When opening a web page (as user, not root, using NS4.77) with embedded
> sound, I get the alert box "cant open output file /dev/dsp"   Havent tried it
> as root.
>
> /dev/dsp exists, but the permissions are presumably not what they should be,
> since that is apparently a root user file with no group permissions set.  my
> user is coriez.
>
> crw-------    1 coriez   audio     14,   3 May 27 08:21 dsp
>
> will a chmod +660 be sufficient and appropriate or am I widely off mark?
>
> tia

IIRC your chmod +660 isn't that that far off what I did.  I did a chmod
+777 to be sure, allowing anyone to run that module.

Worked fine, it was an alsa bug. :]  Found that answer in their FAQ

--
Femme

Good Decisions You boss Made:

"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux.  I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert