On Sat, 18 May 2002 16:57, Miark wrote:
> I have the following entry in my crontab to run every morning:
>
>   05 03 * * * tar -czf /backup/`date +%a`_www_backup.tar.gz /www
>
> But it's apparently _not_ doing it. However
>
> * Crond is running.
> * Other entries in the crontab are being performed.
> * Running the command manually works fine:
>    tar -czf /backup/`date +%a`_www_backup.tar.gz /www
>
> What's the problem here?
>
> tia,
> Miark

Miark, this one has been sitting around for a while with no replies (that
i've seen). I can't fathom it either. Lack of experience with cron. But you
say it works manually so:

- Set it up as a script.

- Test it by running the script.

- If that works try getting cron to run the script instead of executing the
command direct.

Just a thought.

--
Michael