On Tue, 28 May 2002 13:07:05 -0700
"Joe Sotham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been running a dual-boot Mandrake 8.2/Windows system since 8.2
> became available.  Today, I had to upgrade/replace my old video card
> because it has gone bad (GeForce 2 with an ATI Radeon 8500.) I'm using
> a stock kernel and without the NVIDIA 3GL drivers installed, I do not
> startx at boot time.
>
> I can get to lilo and boot in to windows just fine, however, when I
> try to boot in to linux, linux-nonfb, or failsafe the system freezes.
> I've also tried reinstalling from cd#1.

I have made note of this before.

The Radeon 8500 Is Not supported in 8.2.
You can run the installation in text mode and then try dling and
installing the ati2 drivers from gatos and you may be able to get some
usability in X.
The drivers themselves are very buggy as relates to the 8500 and you
will suffer lock-ups and crashes.
This is why support for the 8500 was disabled in 8.2

    Charles