May 28, 2002 02:07 pm,Joe Sotham wrote:
> I've been running a dual-boot Mandrake 8.2/Windows system since 8.2 became
> available.  Today, I had to upgrade/replace my old video card because it
> has gone bad (GeForce 2 with an ATI Radeon 8500.) I'm using a stock kernel
> and without the NVIDIA 3GL drivers installed, I do not startx at boot time.
>
> I can get to lilo and boot in to windows just fine, however, when I try to
> boot in to linux, linux-nonfb, or failsafe the system freezes.  I've also
> tried reinstalling from cd#1.
>
> Any thoughts, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> The Windows side boots fine and found all the new hardware.
>
> Joe Sotham
>  -----------------------------
All I know about who/what/when and if regarding Linux driver development for
ATI products is from this ATI page: http://www.ati.com/developer/linux.html

I hope you can find something there that will help you since the links to
"supported" developers pages are there.

I often 'march to a different beat' myself, so I can understand buying a
graphics card from someone other than NVidia, but I don't think I would have
bought an ATI (even though they're a "Canajun" company, eh. ;-)) until the
driver projects have had a bit more time to gel.
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada