On Wednesday 29 May 2002 4:13 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was trying to share my cable connection in win2000 sstem(which turns out
> I lost my help files acouple of week,s ago) with mandrake 8.2.I installed
> to 2 card in the 2000 system went thur the auto shareing dos promting the
> system I got the card ad DNS  nothing
> IP address 192.168.01
> sub mast 255.255.255.0
> gateway  nothing
> running auto config in linux I got
> gateway 192.168.01
> ip address 192.168.01
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> protocol DHCP
> start on boot yes
> I know there is are thing wrong here because it does seem to work but as I
> said I,m missing my help files.Can anyone see what needs changeing.

This may be stating the obvious, but you do know you have to either use a
special crossover cable between the two computers, or else connect them both
to a hub don't you?

Before you get too deep into changing configuration options just check that
the command   'ping  ip_add_of the_other_computer'   works from a root
terminal in Linux, and a command Window in Windows.

The reason I suggest this is because even when you have a crossover cable, if
the network adapters default to 100Mbps then depending on the quality of the
cable you may not have a reliable connection.  (I have seen that too many
times to be funny :(  )

(To get a root terminal just open a normal terminal type su <Enter>  and then
give the root password. No need to actually log in as root which is frowned
upon)

HTH

derek