On Thursday 30 May 2002 10:39 pm, Josef Lowder wrote:
> What are the quickest, easiest, and/or best ways to send a fax from
> Mandrake Linux 8.1?
>
> 1. Is it possible to fax a text file directly from the command line? How?
>
> 2. How does one setup the system to fax a document as a print output from
> the K text editor (or from KWord or from any other text/word processor)?
>
> 3. I just installed Win4Lin (terrific program! for only $49) so I can use
> Pagemaker 6.0 until I can find and figure out how to use something Linux
> based that would be equivalent to Pagemaker.  So, how do I configure a
> printer so that I can send a Pagemaker document as a fax?
>
> Any help anyone can provide on any or all of the above variants of this
> same question would be very much appreciated.
>
> Joe Lowder
> Mesa, Arizona
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> PS: I hope to get as completely converted to Linux as possible, but until I
> can achieve that goal, Win4Lin is a fantastic transitional product!
> Anybody else out there using it?

Printing to fax is actually easier than most people think. All you need to do
is install the efax rpm.
If you are using the CUPS printing system you will notice that in addition to
your real printer you have three 'pseudo printers' to print to pdf, email,
and fax.
To configure the fax pseudo printer Kmenu>Applications>Send a Fax
This will open the 'Send a Fax' GUI select 'Settings' anter your fax details
and in the 'System' pane select 'efax System'
The command should look something like mine
/usr/bin/fax NAME=%user DEV=%dev PAGE=%page FROM=%from send %res %number
%files

By default it will try to use the modem on /dev/modem  if you want to use a
specific serial port set that up in the 'Fax' pane.

Now to send a fax from your applications simply select the pseudo fax printer,
and a GUI will pop up asking where to send the fax.

One word of warning.  If you use a font not understood by ghostscript the fax
will fail in the conversion stage to postscript.

Also if you want to print a fax or pdf  from Openoffice in a root terminal
cd /usr/lib/openoffice/program
./spadmin

Add a printer and make the print command
qtcups --stdin

Now you will have an extra printer in Openoffice which when selected will
offer you all the pseudo printers.

HTH

derek