Im having some trouble putting icons on my desktop. My desktop has no
icons whatsoever on it, and it doesn't have a pop-up menu when i right
click on it. In fact there seems to be nothing I can do to change the
desktop, or add any icons to it. Advice i've tried -

 - Adding shortcuts to ~/.gnome-desktop folder. Nothing Happened
 - Deleting /tmp/orbit-(username), and then adding stuff to my desktop
folder. Nothing            happened
 - Dragging shortcuts from the panel to the desktop. Failure.
 - Poking around in nautilus menus and gnome configurations, I couldn't
find anything that         related specifically to the icons on a desktop.

In short, 90% of my normal start up screen is inert, and i can only run
programs via the panel. Does anyone know of a possible solution I have
not tried yet?