Have you seen this HOWTO?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Handspring-Visor.html

(Do a Google search and you'll find this document lots of places.)

I recently been successful in getting my new Visor Edge to sync.  That
HOWTO helped me a lot -- it might help you.  (Not to say "RTFM" -- I
just don't remember all the steps I took, plus I don't currently use
Gnome to sync [I use jpilot].)  You may be able to form more specific
questions after you read the document.

I've no clue on the subject of Outlook.

- Kathy