I guess I must seem to be "Mr Problem A Day - just installed mandrake"
chap... but here goes.

I installed an epson stylus color 680 usb printer on mandrake 8.2 using
CUPS and all seemed to go well. Auto recognised, etc etc.

Now a normal user tries to print from galeon.. it sends it to the right
printer.. but appears to only ever print out half the pages (first
half). Also.. it doesn't seem to always print straight away.. sometimes
when not printing at all I run printerdrake as root just to try and give
cups a kick up the backside to get working.. and that seems to do the
trick...
CUPS is initialised at boot .. so it is / or should be running anyway...
does anyone recognise the symptoms.. can anyone advise me of any solutions?

many thanks