On Tuesday 04 June 2002 05:28 am, Scott Wagner wrote:
> Hi
> I've copied the patch numerous times and each time I try the install when
> it comes to the part where you partition the hard drive the floppy drive
> starts to work and it just works and works and nothing happens until I
> finally exit the install.
> What should the file type of the copied patch be?  Windows saves it as a
> text file and I wonder if this is a problem.
>
> Thanks,
> SW

Scott, what do you mean by "windows saves it as a text file"?

Do you mean, that windows saves "patch.pl" as "patch.txt" ? - In that case
it's no wonder everything goes awry. I can only think of one way that could
happen : if you use M$-file-explorer (I'm not sure of the name) to drag'n
drop the file from the harddisk to the floppy. As far as I remember, this
explorer-thingy doesn't show file-extensions, but nevertheless I doubt that
even a M$-app could behave that stupid.

No, I think the problem is that the first time you tried to install 8.2 you
created a file-system on your HD. Then you reached the "select-packages" part
and everything stopped. Now, when you try another install, this time with the
patch in place, the installer finds an "alien" partition-table and panics.

May I recommend : Do an "expert" install, and choose to delete all partitions
except the windows-ones. Then, create linux-partitions once again to your
liking. Remember to have the floppy in place.

If still in trouble, repost to this list, I'm sure there are people here to
help you through this. I'm sure it's only some minor issue.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich
Denmark