this (in my personal experiance) is a CD that has one scratch that is
screwing with only a few programs. (or it may be a screwed CDreader). try the
install again, this time install just a few programs (and if you are
watching, you may find it tells you (earlier in the copy process) what file
could not be installed. you may also be able to boot with the CD and hit F1
at the first chance (I think it's when you "hit enter to install or upgrade")
and try to install LILO at that time. (maybe as simple as typeing lilo at the
prompt) Hope this helps