Graham Watkins wrote:

> Hi Y'all,
>
> Just got 8.2 installed (as an upgrade on 7.2).  Been putting off
> upgrading for about a year because it always involves so much
> re-configuration and I had my 7.2 working mostly how I wanted it.
>
> Anyhow, I can't print anything now - the print utilities don't show a
> printer installed even though I had a Canon BJC 4200 recognised under
> my 7.2 setup. Hardrake can locate it but these settings don't seem to
> transfer. And when I try to use WWW.cups.admin which worked for me
> before, I get Netscape doing a search for http//localhost.port 631
> which turns up an article on how this guy tried to install a printer
> using cups and got a Netscape search instead.
>
> I haven't been following 8.2 threads till now so this question may
> already have been dealt with, but any info would be much appreciated.
> I'm already starting to regret leaving 7.2.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

First of all, update to the latest printing packages--they're on the
security update sites now.

Second, if you actually did an upgrade from 7.2 rather than a fresh
install, you are very lucky anything is working....

0) It isn't supported and wasn't tested
1) rpm is different
2) glibc is different
3) gcc is different and your gcc link probably points at nothing at the
monent
4) cups and the whole printing system have undergone a number of major
overhauls.  Now there is ONE rpm which offers a tarball instead of 4
that used to offer the SAME tarball.  PDQ and LPRng are both available
through printerdrake, which is itself accessible through the Mandrake
Control Center.

BAck up your data and do a fresh install, not an upgrade, then make sure
during install that you are connected to the internet and update all the
printer packages before completing install.

Civileme