On Monday 10 June 2002 01:26, you wrote:
> As I said previously, I had problems with my western digital hard
> drive. fdisk complained:
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
> Previously, I had tried to put this information in the header of
> lilo.conf: install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> lba32
> disk=/dev/hda bios=0x81
> disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
>    sectors = 53
>    heads = 16
>    cylinders = 77545
> but that change never seemed to take effect so I deleted those 3
> lines. Now I added a parameter in the append line in
> /etc/lilo.conf: append="hde=77545,16,63"
> and I believe this has the effect that I so much desired. At least
> fdisk does not complain any more.
> Who knows why this was needed? Maybe the hardware supplies the
> incorrect values, maybe the bios supplies the incorrect values. Or,
> perhaps, because there is already confusion about the bios code for
> /dev/hda and /dev/hde [see bios=0x81 and bios=0x80 above], the
> numbers for sectors and heads on /dev/hde are the numbers for a
> different drive!
>

> Narfi.

Well I find that interesting, I do not see why Western Digital
hardrives should work any different from anyone else's hard drives,
as far as size and allocation of h s c is concerned. I have the same
MoBo as you except I have RAID but I turn it off in Bios, so any
explanation for this apparent quirk is something I want to know about
as much as you. Have you ever had trouble getting this WD hard drive
recognised on any other MoBo.

As far as the other problem goes , "the not ending on cylinder
boundary"is concerned it is almost certainly something to do with
using mixed partition tools, my experience is that they don't go
together well. However overall, I think it just means left as it is
you will have a small pece of hardrive going to waste that's all,
When this started to happen to me I bought Partition Magic and
started completely again, and touch wood I have not had any problems
so far. It does not matter if you choose to format with different
formatting tools so long as all the partitions are created by the one
partition tool.However PM does a very though job of checking your
drive for bad sectors,marking them, and formatting, if you choose so
to do . It is slow, but I fully accept that , why not let it do it's
job carefully and precisely, you just set up the programme , go away
for a while and come back an hour or so later and all is done
beautifully. You can then get on and install operating systems.
John
--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]