Joshua James wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone can give me some information regarding the
>following items:

What window manager are using?  KDE, GNOME etc. handle things
differently.  I'll try to answer these questions assuming you're using
KDE2, which is the default in Mandrake 8.2

>1. How to make a program automatically startup with login, how to start
>minimized would be nice too.

The simple way is to set up your desktops with the programs you want
already running, then log out, ticking the "Restore session" checkbox.
 This only works for programs that you can open from a desktop, though,
not for command line processes.  There's a way to do that as well, but I
can't remember it.

>2. How to change icons correctly. I have put programs in my taskbar but
>I think I've assigned the icons incorrectly. I right-click and go to
>preferences. Then I click the icon (or lack there of) and browse to the
>application's folder and choose and icon. It will stay there for a while
>but down the road I'll boot up, log in, and they are back to no icon.

The easiest way to put an application (or anything else) onto your
taskbar is from the main menu (K->Configure Panel->Add).

>3. Is there a way to change the window positioning. My email program
>always starts in the top-left corner and covers my icons. I am used to
>Outlook and it will start where I left it. Other windows just seem to
>start up where they want. I do appreciate them trying to stay out of the
>way and I really love the fact that when I move to the edge of the
>screen or near other windows they snap in place.

Put the application window where you want it, then right-click on the
window bar, then choose "Store settings".  This works for some programs
but not all.

>4. File Associations / Default Apps. My default webbrowser is Mozilla.
>I'd like to use Netscape (or something that can read even closer to IE).
>I have set the association for html pages but can't find where to choose
>a default browser.

I'm confused.  Firstly, any recent version of Mozilla is essentially the
same as Netscape 6.*.  Secondly, I don't understand what you mean by
setting the default browser - if you've set the association for .html
to, say, Netscape, then Netscape is your default browser, in the sense
that any time you click on an HTML file, it should open in Netscape.  If
you're talking about which browser will open clicked links in emails,
that's probably up to your email  client.  An exception is Evolution -
to get that to use a different browser, I think you have to log in
choosing GNOME and use the GNOME configuration tool.

>I'm trying hard to rid my computer of Windows. Thanks for any help for
>this Mandrake newbie.

It's a pleasure.

Sir Robin