On 14 Jun 2002 13:36:27 -0600, Warren Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a little off topic, so if there's a better forum for my question
> just point me to it.
>
> I have a client with a Windows 2000 LAN. Someday I'll finally convince
> management to migrate to Linux Mandrake, but today's not the day. Short
> of changing the OS, however, I've been given carte blanche to "improve
> the system." What should I be doing now to insure that a future
> migration to LM goes smoothly? I'm thinking of things like using FAT32
> wherever possible instead of NTFS, and migrating users from MS Office to
> OpenOffice.

I think you're on the right track. IMHO, this is the best way to switch to from
Windows to GNU/Linux:

  1. Gradually change to apps and protocols that are available for both systems.
  2. Once everyone is used to the changes done in step 1, install GNU/Linux in
     a dual-boot configuration.
  3. People should now use GNU/Linux but can now fall back to Windows if
     required.
  4. Provide training and help and make sure that everyone is okay with
     GNU/Linux.

I think the most appropriate motto here is 'slow and steady'. You seem to be in
Step 1 at present. Using FAT and OpenOffice.org (or StarOffice if you want) is a
good start. I suggest you change the servers before you tinker with desktop
systems. Use Samba for file and print sharing, LDAP for e-mail, et cetera. Once
that is settled and everything is in order, you can work on the desktop area. MS
apps are highly proprietary; I suggest you don't use them at all. Mozilla is
great for Web browsing, e-mail and more. You may even want to consider removing
IE completely using 98lite (http://www.98lite.net/) to improve system stability
and speed, and to force people onto Mozilla. If you have an intranet, ensure
that all its pages are standards-compliant.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"... if you're a basic PC user thinking about buying XP, don't. It's basically
malware. It harangues you with nagging, fake-friendly reminders to obtain a
Passport and submit to product activation, and treats you like a child when you
try to do anything heretical, like install a device driver of which it
disapproves." -- Thomas C. Greene, "Win-XP vs Red Hat 7.2", The Register
(http://www.theregister.co.uk), 2001-10-30