On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 14:40, shane wrote:

> On Friday 14 June 2002 12:36 pm, Warren Post did speak unto the huddled
> masses, saying:
>
> > Short
> > of changing the OS, however, I've been given carte blanche to "improve
> > the system." What should I be doing now to insure that a future
> > migration to LM goes smoothly? I'm thinking of things like using FAT32
> > wherever possible instead of NTFS, and migrating users from MS Office to
> > OpenOffice.
>
> isn't changing to mandrake "improving the system?  :)

That's certainly how I see it!

> what apps do they use?

* MS Office has been replaced by OpenOffice.
* Corel is being replaced by The Gimp and OpenOffice Draw. Unresolved
problems so far are the lack of clip art and the inability to open
legacy Corel files.
* MS Publisher, Broderbund Banner - I haven't found anything
sufficiently lobotomized to satisfy users accustomed to canned
solutions.
* AutoCAD and ARCview - I haven't started looking for alternatives to
these yet.

But the Really Big App is a proprietary database and information
management system done in Visual Basic and Foxpro. Being able to run
this and access the Foxpro databases on the fileserver is what will make
or break a future migration to Linux. A few modules are still being
implemented by the contractor, and the programmers tell me that if Linux
can do Visual, the app should run fine.

The LAN has no connection to the outside world, so that makes things
easier. At the moment it's a simple workgroup but I have to change it to
a domain with MS Active Directory next week to make our new network
antivirus work. Though I was tempted to leave the system unprotected so
when the inevitable meltdown occurs I could tell management "this
doesn't happen with Linux".  :-)

Warren