Ok, I have just now tried to disable DNS considering you say that my ISP is
assigning DNS as connection is made.  Still no luck.  I can ping my Internet
server at 192.168.0.118 and I get positive results.  However when I ping
www.yahoo.com I get; ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com
which leads me to believe DNS is not working only on my P.C. using Mandrake.

Some background history here, in the past I have used Sygate Internet sharing
software on a P200 with Win98se2 for our Internet server.

With this sharing software the Windows clients on the LAN use DHCP to obtain
an IP from the server, and I set the gateway IP to 192.168.0.118 (second nic's
IP in server aka - eth1) and I disable DNS on clients running Windows.

With this same server using Sygate, before I used to use RH7.1 and I had to use
DHCP, gateway set to 192.168.0.118 AND DNS enabled with
DNS IP#1 192.168.0.118
DNS IP#2 24.31.3.8
DNS IP#3 24.31.3.9
in order to connect to the net with DNS services.

Within the past year, I changed our Internet server to use LRP (Linux Router
Project) and basically kept the Windows clients settings the same - I left their
gateway IP number intack just incase LRP went goofy (dust on the floppy
usually was the culprit to bring down the LRP Internet server).

During this time I changed from RH to Mandrake and only had to enable DHCP
in order to access the net.  I did not have to use DNS because the LRP server
has a package called dnscache which takes care of that.

This past week, the LRP software wasn't able to obtain an IP from our ISP
so I had to boot the server into Windows to satisfy the clients on the LAN
until I can figure out what is wrong with it.  All the Windows clients can
connect to the web now, however my P.C. running Mandrake can only send and
receive email (because I use IP numbers for my SMTP and POP settings).

This all leads me to believe that DNS is not functioning only on my P.C.
running Mandrake 8.2

Is there something I am missing here?  Did I get "lucky" before with a
misconfigured RH system?

Your reply et, "your ISP is assigning DNS as connection is made, this should be
correct."  What are you referring to as being correct?

If our ISP is assigning DNS as connection is made, how come the Windows clients
can connect to the web and are able to utilize DNS in some manner, but Mandrake
cannot?

BTW, our account with our ISP does not include a home network.  Our account
is for only one computer, and that is all they provide support for.

If there is any other info I need to provide (newbie here, not too sure!)
let me know and I will send it along.

Thanks for your help.
Steve