I am attempting to add a couple DNS IP's to /etc/resolv.conf in this format;

nameserver 24.31.3.8
nameserver 24.31.3.9

however, everytime I do this the file is overwritten immediatly by "something"
else.  I have even tried to add the IP's directly into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
(various files with DNS entries in them) with no luck.

The original contents of /etc/resolv.conf are;

nameserver 192.168.0.118

which is the gateway IP of our Internet server on our home LAN.

DNS is enabled thru linuxconf and yes I even tried adding the new IP's there
and they are removed immediatly also by some other process.  I have checked
and I do not have pump installed so that isn't the culprit.  I also do not have
dhclient installed (those were the two suggestions I found on the web which may
be interferring with /etc/resolv.conf)

I am using Mandrake 8.2 on a Dell Optiplex P500 w/256 RAM
with a 3com nic.  Any other info I should provide?

Thanks in advance for any help and or advise.
Steve