On Wednesday 19 June 2002 03:25, Terence J.Golightly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I post infrequently, so if the problem I am about to address has been
> discussed as such in a faq or a web page I would be gratelful if someone
> could send me the url otherwise, here goes.
>
> I am upgrading my hardware.  I would like to  swap my current harddrive out
> of my 586 box and putting in a new Athlon powered box with a SY-K7V Dragon
> Plus MoBo.  What I would like to know is if the system kernel will boot
> minimally and then perhaps recompile the system the kernel for the new
> hardware and restart the system.  What to do?

Well it will not 'recompile'. Your new Athlon runs the same 586 code as your
existing computer (if you were to recompile your kernel with 'Athlon'
optimisations it is doubtful if you would notice the difference)
What will happen is, during boot 'kudzu' is automatically run which will
recognise new hardware components and offer to reconfigure the drivers
accordingly. Not sure if this will cover the video card as well, so if X does
not come up just go to runlevel 3 and run XFdrake to reconfigure the video.
(  Ctl+Alt+F1 to get a console
init 3   to enter runlevel 3
XFdrake       -the first window offers screen resolution, hit 'Cancel' to get
the window to select video card.
init 5 to restart X  )

HTH
derek