On Sunday 23 June 2002 06:38 pm, you wrote:
> Do you have a nic also? I had the same problem and had to do a "ifconfig
> eth0 down " to get the modem to talk to the apps.
> Roly
>
> On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 18:20, F. McKenna wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Like it says in the subject line I can't browse the 'net.  Mandrake 8.2
> > dials out with my 33.6 modem and connects to my ISP but I can't browse
> > using Konq, Netscape, or Mozilla.
> >
> > I have made all three users part of the PPP group but I am not sure where
> > to take it from here.
> >
> > Your help would be ceeply apreciated,
> >
> > Frank McKenna
> >
> > You don't have to like it you just have to do it but it is sure fun to
> > win
> >
> > True Strength lies in Gentleness

Hmm, this has come up a couple of times before, and I've had the same problem
myself (once I started a small 3 comp LAN). What I had to do was edit these
files: (to get a modem connection, LAN working, and not have to shutdown my
network everytime I wanted to dial out)

/etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=darkforce.com
DOMAINNAME=com
GATEWAY=
GATEWAYDEV=ppp0
FORWARD_IPV4=true

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.1             darkforce.com darkforce
192.168.0.2             darkforce2
192.168.0.3             darkforce3

/etc/resolv.conf

domain setel.com                #kppp temp entry
search com setel.com
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 192.168.0.2
nameserver 192.168.0.3

# ppp temp entry
nameserver 63.70.180.2 # ppp temp entry
nameserver 63.70.180.2  #kppp temp entry

Of course, you'd have to enter your own specifics above. ;-)

And I believe (but am not sure) that I had to turn connection sharing on.
Might want to ask someone else about that.

Hope this helps some! ;-)

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord