et wrote:

>you know Jon, you where in my filters, and I took you off last week when I
>saw a reply to this post mentioning you were spam filtered.
>Really "interesting" (maybe "fascinating" would be as proper, especially for
>the folks down under to comprehend)  to see you back. Welcome again, really.
>May I request that we all refrain (as much as possible) from the "name
>calling" and the sticks and stones stuff. I will try, I promise.
>Anyway the link you provided is not a good link at this time. I get a timeout
>for the server. and not having seen your original post I do not have any
>other of the sited evidence, but please fell free to contact me off list to
>update me with more info about this.
>I generally & personally do not consider postings to a forum message board as
>very much "evidence" of anything except that the message board exists, and
>has people posting to it. what ever the "problems" exposed by the postings,
>the fact that more than one post exists for it does not (IMHO) conclude an
>unrepairable problem.
>I would bet (heck I could be wrong I am only basing that on your posts) I
>have a slight lead on you, as far as my understanding of how a hard drive
>(and MBR, as part of the drive) works and is written to. Based on my
>experience and understanding of hard drive operation, I would be nearly
>shocked to have you prove my assumption incorrect. I would enjoy learning as
>much as possible about this software that "*irretrievably" trashed the hard
>drive. from MY experience, it would take a few minutes of hard drive
>thrashing to *irretrievably loose the data, without letting the smoke out of
>the circuit board on the hard drive. If you did let out the smoke, well then,
>unless you have a way to put the smoke back into those little black smoke
>holders it may have *irretrievably lost your data.
>And (by the way) who are the "Nortons"?
>My experience ain't "thirty years of clinical and industrial psychology" that
>did not teach me how to keep from calling people; "baby", "Flame-babies",
>"inescapable idiot", "fanatics", "Anti-social deviants", "egobound to the
>degree that the anal pressure creates blindness", "anti-social people with
>zero social skill", or "Cyber-Nazis", while still expecting assistace and
>free training from them. It was my hope though, by showing you the names that
>you have labeled folks you only know via e-mail, that it may help you see how
>offensive your post might have sounded.
>I do agree that it is very often possible to discern the intended audience
>from the style of writing. I would caution that not every monosyllabic book
>was written by a "non-PHD". Some very good childern's books have been written
>by very educated people.
>
>I would also ask you to consider the reverse side of this statement, with the
>consideration that my (and your) rights end where someone else's rights begin;

> [...]

Well, name-calling is one of the behaviors I would classify as
"acting-out" ;-)

In the internet world, there are no real controls on behavior from the
other end of the line.  I like the "ignore" button and the "delete" key
for time-wasting chat remarks and for spam.  I do not support the use of
anti-spam software above the individual computer level, where it is the
user's decision to employ it or not.  Weak decision-making by system
administrators to employ some "protection" of the users should be fully
documented and disclosed before one purchases services from an ISP.
 Fortunately there are still enough ISPs around to compete for users and
enough attorneys around to assist users who have a gripe that their ISP
used anti-spam software _without_ notifying them thus causing stress,
mental anguish, loss of business, pain and suffering.

In the end it all comes to sysadmins and users.  If the sysadmin is
well-trained and thinks out his job, he can serve customers well and
still spend half his workday playing Quake.  If the user admits the
reality that there is no Guardian for his integrity, privacy and
well-being beyond himself and assumes the responsibility for protecting
himself, then things are pretty nice as well.  Lazy approaches by either
spell disaster.  This is not a no-cost service.  Just as freedom
requires effort, netizenship requires knowledge and responsibility.  If
someone wants to avoid those, there is always Palladium, soon to be
revealed by Microsoft.

Original article here:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/770511.asp?cp1=1

Reasoned response here (perhaps with an overtone of fanaticism):

http://www.theregus.com/content/4/25340.html

My point?  Well being on the internet is more like driving an auto than
like playing a video game.  You do have an obligation to beware of the
idiocy of others if you wish to remain accident-free.  No amount of
programming is likely to be a substitute for reasoning in the internet
universe for the forseeable future.  It is a much more complicated
universe than chess.

But really this diatribe about "Net-Nazis" seems more like venting than
the useful conveyance of information.

Civileme