Thanks for reply.

The install fails for there is no proper ahci driver for ATI SB600
SATA.  So the system hang when it try to detect the SATA device. For
it can't find a hard disk, the kernel panics.

the error log is like this:

ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
scsi0 : ahci
ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
scsi1 : ahci
ata3: SATA link up to 1.5 Gbps  (SStatus 113)
ata3: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata3: dev 0 failed to IDDENTIFY (I/O error)
scsi2 : ahci
ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
scsi3: ahci

There is a patch to fix this issue in kernel-2.6.20.

I'd like to know how to install Mandriva 2007 on such platform? As I
know, I should have a driver disk with proper ahci driver. I have read
http://wiki.mandriva.com/Releases/Mandriva/2007/Errata, but I can't
install OS yet without a proper driver.

And all I know is driver disk. Could you give help on how to create
the driver disk for mandriva 2007.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Liu Xinyun

2007/1/31, ET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
xinyun liu wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newbie of Mandriva and satisfied with its convenience. I use
> Mandriva 2007 free.
>
> But I have an ATI SB600 motherboard and mandriva 2007 doesn't have
> full support for its ide device. (I can't install it because here is
> no driver).
>
> I know how to get latest patch from kernel.org and rebuild the kernel,
> but I prefer to create a driver disk for it like what I have done for
> FC5.
> Could anyone give me help?
>
> If I build the driver module *.ko successfully, how can I put it to a
> proper structure in a driver disk?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Liu Xinyun

perhaps the expert or cooker list would be more likely to have the info
you desire, most times the newbie list's questions center around getting
software installed.
this is also a kernel specific question, so lkml, (the linux kernel
mailing list) should more than likely offer you the correct information
for your unique problem.
most all 'drivers' for IDE devices are already included in the default
kernel with mandriva. the 'switches' can be passed to the kernel at
bootup, if needed.
I take it the install does not even start for you?
at what point does the install fail?
have you read the errata? (do you have any of these problem?)

 Installer cannot run on ASUS A7V600-X

See also bug_small.png Bug #27069. On the ASUS A7V600-X motherboard, and
possibly others, Mandriva Linux 2007 cannot be installed due to problems
with the motherboard's support for the MSI interrupt mechanism. To
resolve this issue, specify the pci=nomsi kernel parameter for the
installer. During the installation process, the parameter should also be
added to the default parameters for future booting of the system. You
can do this in the bootloader configuration stage of the
post-installation phase. You may also need to change some BIOS settings:
make sure INTERRUPT MODE is set to APIC, and Plug 'n' Play mode is set
to NO. It is also recommended that you remove the acpi=ht noapic nolapic
kernel parameters both for the installer and for future boots of the system.

Installer does not see hard disk on Dell Optipex sx280

See also bug_small.png Bug #23279. On the Dell Optipex sx280, a BIOS
quirk causes the Linux kernel not to recognize the IDE controller (and
thus the hard disk, making installation impossible). To work around this
problem, specify the pnpacpi=off pnpbios=off kernel parameters for the
installer and also for future boots (you can do this in the bootloader
configuration stage of the post-install phase).

http://wiki.mandriva.com/Releases/Mandriva/2007/Errata
--
reg. Linux User 167806
webhome http://ed-tharp.is-a-geek.org