Before assuming the worst, I would run XFree86 -configure this should generate a
reasonable config
file (NOTE: it will be located in your root directory and be called XF86Config.new,
you will have
to rename it and move it where it belongs)
Then if you still have problems post both XF86Config and log -preferably the one
generated by
startx 2>mylog (to be found in current directory/mylog)
Lionel