In my local installation /var/log/XFree86.0.log contains the log of the X session I am
running(which obviously is the local one since I don't access through a network)
another
possibility would be to redirect the log (if it works in your case) this is what I
usually do (I
use startx 2>mylog) because I noticed I got a (for me) better log.
Lionel