Give Us Our Money Back. We’ll Fix It!

Written By:  Frank Salvato...

DOWNERS GROVE, IL. (NS/NMJ) -

The ultimate example of opportunistic politics before good government
was displayed in Washington over the past several days. Political
operatives from both sides of the aisle did everything in their power
to create a government-based solution to the financial crisis facing
our country; a government-created problem. In the end the US House of
Representatives voted down the highly contentious Wall Street bailout
bill mostly due to the fact that we are within the 30-day window when
voters do not forget actions taken by their elected officials. If only
the public’s attention were always so focused.

In the end 90 House Democrats joined with 133 House Republicans in an
effort to stop a measure that would have seen the biggest expansion of
government in US history. In effect, it would have placed the coyote
in charge of the hen house.

Many in our citizenry viewed the now-dead proposal as a "no fault"
measure that would have allowed those responsible for this financial
malfeasance to escape culpability and with good reason. Watching US
Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) and US Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) – along with
their leadership, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Harry Reid (D-NV) and Senior
Senator from New York, Charles Schumer – harangue about how Democrats
were taking the lead in crafting “bi-partisan” legislation to “rescue”
the average American from the evils of Wall Street was the ultimate
exercise in political hypocrisy.

Frank and Dodd, both chairmen of their respective committees that over
see the financial community on matters directly related to this crisis
and the malfeasance that brought us to this point, were derelict in
their duties not only as chairmen charged with oversight, but in their
duties to their respective constituencies in that they were not
providing good government.

Without doubt, Frank and Dodd should resign from their chairmanships
immediately and without question. If the GOP had been in control of
Congress at this point in time Democrats would have been screaming for
the chairmen’s resignation not only from their chairmanships but from
Congress. So, let’s exact some “what’s good for the goose” here.

But the buck doesn’t stop with Frank and Dodd. Nor does it stop with
Pelosi, Reid or Schumer. The indefensible governmental actions that
led to the enabling of Wall Street’s greed merchants and the coercion
of responsible financial institutions began with Jimmy Carter and
continued under Bill Clinton.

Jimmy Carter’s Community Reinvestment Act, is defined as:

“...a United States federal law that requires banks and savings and
loan associations to offer credit throughout their entire market area
and prohibits them from targeting only wealthier neighborhoods with
their services, a practice known as "redlining." The purpose of the
CRA is to provide credit, including home ownership opportunities to
under-served populations and commercial loans to small businesses. It
has been subjected to important regulatory revisions.”

In a nutshell, this legislation forced financial institutions to offer
loans to people that didn’t qualify for loans; that could satisfy the
terms of loans based on sound financial qualifications.

Bill Clinton continued this march to financial disaster with his
National Homeownership Initiative, which saw Community Reinvestment
Act mortgage loans explode by 39 percent from 1993 to 1998. In
comparison other loans increased by a market bearing 17 percent.

Much to the chagrin of the mainstream news media and the Democrats who
are cohesive in their propaganda in that they are placing the blame
for this financial debacle at the feet of President Bush and
congressional Republicans (and let’s not forget their never-ending
attempt to marry every crisis to John McCain), the president, John
McCain and congressional republicans were sounding the alarm on this
looming crisis ever since 2001. In fact, the GOP controlled Senate
passed a bill out of committee in 2005 increasing oversight on Fannie
Mae and Freddie Mac only to see it stonewalled by the Senate Democrats
when it came time to move it out of committee and to the Senate floor
for a vote.

So, on the eve of the 2008 General Election – which also sees many in
Congress up for re-election – we witness a Congress, led by the very
people who caused the crisis in the first place, scrambling to fix
decades worth of governmental mismanagement by setting up yet another
government controlled program.

Are you starting to see the incredible inanity of the situation?

To be certain, action must be taken to avert a considerable financial
crisis, but the solution does not rest with bailing out the financial
sector and it certainly doesn’t rest in empowering a government that
was ultimately responsible for enabling Wall Street greed merchants at
the start. The answer rests with empowering the people, the citizen,
the taxpayer.

Our elected officials - our US Representatives, US Senators and the
White House – must understand we the taxpayers – We the People – have
had enough and are exercising our constitutionally mandated right to
provide oversight to our elected officials. To do that we must make
our voices heard.

Just as We the People stopped the sham of an immigration bill we can
apply enough pressure on our elected officials to bring them to craft
a piece of legislation that affords taxpayer monies to the taxpayers
so that they can lift themselves out of this financial crisis by
paying their own bills. Approaching the existing crisis in this manner
would:

▪ Make available liquid assets to the banks and financial institutions
currently strapped for cash because of the "bad paper" they hold.

▪ Eliminate the immediate threat of foreclosure to those who were
afforded loans they couldn't afford.

▪ Eliminate any need for a massive expansion of federal government,
thus reducing the proposal for a greater "governmental footprint" in
our private lives.

▪ Allows taxpayers to use their own money to rectify private sector
matters without governmental interference.

The solution for this "crisis" rests with the people, not the
government; government will be responsible for repealing Bill
Clinton's National Homeownership Initiative and eliminating Jimmy
Carter's Community Reinvestment Act, and disciplining US Rep. Barney
Frank and Sen. Chris Dodd for their dereliction of duty with regard to
their obligation to provide congressional oversight.

In the beginning, when our Framers and Founders created the incredible
documents that are The Charters of Freedom – the Declaration of
Independence, the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights – they
understood that government was to be executed from the local to the
federal; they maintained that because we had a citizen government,
created to serve the people rather than to lord over the people, that
the power needed to rest with the people.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time to exercise our constitutional duties
of civic responsibility. Let’s tell government to give us our own
money back so we can fix the mess they have created. It is time to put
good government before opportunistic blame-game politics. Anything
else would be to ignore the will of the people.

Contact Information:

White House
President George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington DC
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Comments: (202) 456-1111
Switchboard: (202) 456-1414
FAX: (202) 456-2461
Google group...

To read more, go to:

http://www.newssarasota.com
http://newssarasotaezine.talkspot.com

To hear more, go to:

http://thecaptainsamerica.podomatic.com

Enjoy the priviledge you now share with others who want to know what others
don't...

Thanks,

Matt Bruce
Managing Editor
News Sarasota.com
Retired 25 Year Fire-Rescue Captain
Host Of:
"The Captain's AMERICA" Show
Heard From 12 noon to 1 PM ET Monday Thru Friday
LIVE On Net Talk World.com
Across America & Around The Globe At The Speed Of The Internet...
Weekend's Overnight on The Accent Radio Network...
Check Out:
http://thecaptainsamerica.com
http://www.nettalkworld.com

For more options, visit this group at