International Herald Tribune

Serbs use words of Western leaders to support Kosovo stand

By Nicholas Wood

Sunday, December 16, 2007

BELGRADE: As the dispute over Kosovo's future nears a climax, the Serbian
government has enlisted the support of some the world's best known statesmen -
all of them dead.

For the past two weeks billboards carrying the images of George Washington,
Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Winston Churchill and Charles de Gaulle have
appeared throughout the country above the mantra "Kosovo Is Serbia!"

Extracts of their speeches are printed next to their busts, each one selected,
and adapted in some cases, to advocate Serbia's cause.

In a dispute in which Serbs so far have looked to Russia for support against
the West, the posters are an unusual twist.

Across the Balkans, from Kosovo to Bosnia, photographs of President Vladimir
Putin of Russia can be seen in Serbian shops and cafés. In Mitrovica, the
divided city that is the front line for tension between ethnic Albanians and
Serbs in Kosovo, a banner is strung over the main crossroad in the
Serb-dominated north, saying, "Russia Save Us!"

But the government's recent billboard campaign suggests that Serbs can use the
icons of Western democracies in protesting the possible loss of Kosovo.

Churchill is shown with a cigar in hand, alongside an extract of a speech
urging the British to stand up against Nazi Germany: "We shall defend what is
ours. We shall never surrender."

Washington's head appears in front of a billowing American flag with an
approximate quote from during the American Revolution: "The time is near at
hand which must determine whether we are to be free men or slaves." (Washington
used the word "Americans" where the Serbian version uses "we.")

By borrowing words from some of the greatest Western leaders, the authors of
the billboard campaign say, they are offering not only a note of defiance but
also a means of finding common ground with the West as it collides with Serbia
over Kosovo.

"We are trying to remind people there are Western politicians who say it is all
right to defend your state," said Dragoslav Bokan, director of Arts and Crafts,
the marketing agency commissioned by the Serbian government to undertake the
poster campaign.

The United States and a majority of European governments have indicated they
believe that the UN administration of Kosovo, in place since 1999, is untenable
and that ethnic Albanians, who make up nearly 90 percent of the population,
should be granted an independent state.

Last week the European Union approved a new mission that would replace the
world body and help supervise the state if it became an independent state. The
Serbian prime minister, Vojislav Kostunica, reacted angrily to the decision,
accusing the EU of attempting to set up "a puppet state" on Serbian soil.

According to Bokan, the question now posed by those who favor Serbian
integration into the European Union - and according to opinion polls they are
an increasingly narrow majority - is how to resolve that clash of interests:
How can Serbs identify with the West and oppose what it is doing to Serbia?

"It's so schizophrenic. We work for Western companies all over Europe, and feel
part of the global environment where borders are being broken down," Bokan
said, referring to his marketing company. "On the other hand, the other part of
our identity has obligations to Serbian history."

Senior advisers in the Serbian government paint the controversy over Kosovo in
stark terms, suggesting that there is no point in Serbia's joining a bloc that
would occupy Serbian territory.

As pro-Russian rhetoric has increased, many Serbs are bewildered, Bokan said.

For all their ties with Russia - including a shared Christian Orthodox faith
and military alliances dating back two centuries - Serbs today appear to have
far more in common with the West. Serbia borders the European Union to the
north and east and does not border Russia, Bokan noted. And Serbs, he said,
play in the National Basketball Association in the United States and in soccer
clubs throughout Europe.

"Ask anybody the name of a Russian film director, composer or even rock group
and they will struggle, but they can name five or six American directors,"
Bokan said.

The poster campaign, he said, is a reminder that Serbs can still fight for
their cause and be Europeans.

Ljiljana Smajlovic, editor of Politika, a conservative broadsheet that has run
a vigorous campaign against Kosovo's independence, is more specific.

"I don't expect the government to go to war" over Kosovo, she said in a
telephone interview. "But I expect them to go to court over this. I think one
can be a good European and still protest this."

But regional commentators say it is also possible to see a gloomier outcome, in
which Serbia seeks strength in its history as a nation surrounded by enemies,
proudly defiant, even at terrible costs. Serbia's most celebrated battle is a
defeat at the hand of the Turks in Kosovo; its national motto is "Only Unity
Can Save the Serbs."

It is a big mistake "to underestimate the strength of Serbian 'inat,' " or
spite, William Montgomery, a former U.S. ambassador to Serbia and Montenegro,
wrote in a recent column for B92, an independent news service based in
Belgrade. "They may well know full well that they will be hurting themselves
more than anyone else with some of their actions, but that doesn't mean that
they won't go ahead anyway."

The inspiration for that kind of thinking can also be found in the government's
billboard campaign. The quote from John F. Kennedy reads, "A man does what he
must, in spite of the consequences."

  _____

  _____

 <http://www.iht.com/> International Herald TribuneCopyright © 2007 The