The Arrogance Of American Power

By Paul J. Balles

 <http://www.redress.cc/americas/pjballes20100725> Redress.cc

”What is America doing in Iraq and Afghanistan? It’s called 'nation building'.
What business is it of America to be building other’s nations? It's really none
of their business. It's nothing more than the arrogance of power.”

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, ending the Cold War, America breathed
a sigh of relief.

A problem that should have been addressed at that point was neglected. The
question that should have dominated American thinking is: Do we really need to
maintain the many US military bases abroad?

Twelve years after the Soviet collapse, America reportedly had 702 overseas
military bases in about 130 countries and another 6,000 bases in the United
States and its territories. That report failed to include a number of so-called
secret bases and bases in the Middle East.

As military historian Chalmers Johnston observed: "...the United States
dominates the world through its military power. Due to government secrecy, our
citizens are often ignorant of the fact that our garrisons encircle the planet.
This vast network of American bases on every continent except Antarctica
actually constitutes a new form of empire..."

By 2009, the number of American bases outside of the USA had increased to over
1,000. Anthropology professor David Vines said these represented "the largest
collection of bases in world history".

Vines added: "Officially, the Pentagon counts 865 base sites, but this
notoriously unreliable number omits all our bases in Iraq (likely over 100) and
Afghanistan (80 and counting), among many other well-known and secretive bases."

Where are all those military bases outside the military zones like Iraq and
Afghanistan, and what purpose do they serve? "More than half a century after
World War II and the Korean War," wrote Vines, "we still have 268 bases in
Germany, 124 in Japan, and 87 in South Korea."

Are the bases in Germany and Japan there to deter any present or future leaders
in those countries from a repeat performance of the events that led to World
War II or to the Korean War?

What Congress and the public hear from the administration and the military
establishment is that these bases are necessary for national security. That, of
course, is a paranoid claim.“The Vietnam War should have taught us that we
weren't invincible. Whatever affect it had on the thirst for power was
short-lived.”

Hundreds of thousands of military personnel and their families had employment
in jobs that kept the unemployment numbers down and raised few complaints from
taxpayers who foot the bill. It also kept the military-industrial complex
profitable.

The problem with the whole scheme is that hundreds of these military bases are
located in areas that are not war zones, and their sole function is to assure
America's interests in a particular area.

The side effects of the entire scenario have been disastrous, and will continue
to be. Personnel from the bases pose a clear threat to local communities and
ultimately to America simply for being there.

Military personnel don't have the same access to US entertainment that they had
at home, so they become involved in drugs, excessive alcohol, prostitution and
rape – the spoils of non-wars.

Equally heinous results come from the reactions provoked by a military presence
anywhere. American military personnel threaten the local cultures in such a way
that they provoke the development of resistance. They create enemies.

That is exactly what happened with Osama Bin Laden. He had a persuasive
argument against America's hunger for world control and the threat that posed.

What is America doing in Iraq and Afghanistan? It’s called "nation building".
What business is it of America to be building other’s nations? It's really none
of their business. It's nothing more than the arrogance of power.

Paul J. Balles is a retired American university professor and freelance writer
who has lived in the Middle East for many years. For more information, see
<http://www.pballes.com> http://www.pballes.com

http://www.countercurrents.org/balles250710.htm