Most disappointing that Boris Johnson should suggest that there is any relevant
connection with Kosovo and capping housing benefit at £400 ($600) per week.

Johnson actually was reasonably open-minded in 1999 and went to Beograd during
or shortly after the bombing. It would be interesting to know what prompted him
to use Kosovo - he is one of the few people in office who might have been
expected to see that this shibboleth of Tony Bliar and New Labour is very
vulnerable to criticism and hence a way to dismantle the overblown claims and
immoral foreign policy they have built on this supposed success...
<mailto:tim%20fenton%20%3c...@tjfenton.plus.com%3e> Tim Fenton

David Cameron scolds Mayor of London Boris Johnson over 'Kosovo' comment

David Cameron has delivered an unprecedented slap-down to Boris Johnson for
comparing Government plans to stop housing benefit being claimed on expensive
homes to “Kosovo-style social cleansing”.

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent
Published: 6:11PM BST 28 Oct 2010

Link to this video
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/uk-politics-video/8093827/Boris-Johnson-benefit-cap-will-cause-Kosovo-style-social-cleansing.html>

The Prime Minister was said to be “bristling” with anger after the Mayor of
London <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/borisjohnson/>  suggested
that capping housing benefit at just under £21,000 a year
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/borisjohnson/8092936/Boris-Johnson-says-David-Camerons-housing-benefit-cap-will-cause-Kosovo-style-social-cleansing.html>
  would lead to the poor being “pushed out” of their homes.

The plans are designed to stop low-income taxpayers subsidising expensive
properties for benefits claimants. Ministers estimate that 21,000 people are
living in homes for which the state pays more than £400 a week, including
17,000 in the capital.

 In a rare public rebuke, a spokesman for the Prime Minister said Mr Cameron
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/david-cameron/>  disagreed
with the mayor’s choice of words and view of the housing benefit policy. Mr
Johnson had appeared to suggest that he was seeking to prevent the housing cap
being implemented in London.

“The last thing we want to have in our city is a situation such as Paris, where
the less well-off are pushed out to the suburbs,” he said.

“I’ll emphatically resist any attempt to recreate a London where the rich and
poor cannot live together.

“What we will not see and not accept is any kind of Kosovo-style social
cleansing of

The Prime Minister was said to be "bristling" with anger after the Mayor of
London suggested that capping housing benefit at just under £21,000 a year
[...]

cleansing of London. On my watch, you are not going to see thousands of
families evicted from the place where they have been living and have put down
roots.”

Within two hours of the comments being broadcast, Mr Cameron’s spokesman issued
a public rebuke, saying: “The Prime Minister doesn’t agree with what Boris
Johnson has said or indeed the way he said it.

“He thinks the policy is the right one and he doesn’t agree with the way [Mr
Johnson] chose his words.”

It is the first time that Mr Cameron’s growing irritation with the Mayor has
been made explicit, and confirms Mr Johnson’s position as his only serious
rival within the Conservative Party.

The mayor’s words were unfortunate given that a day earlier, Nick Clegg, the
Deputy Prime Minister, had described as “deeply offensive” a Labour claim that
the poor would be “sociologically cleansed” out of London if housing benefit
was cut.

Senior Coalition figures rounded on Mr Johnson. Mr Clegg said: “I disagree with
what Boris Johnson said on the policy and very strongly disagree with the way
he expressed his views.”

As No 10’s displeasure was made clear, Mr Johnson issued a statement saying
that his words, broadcast on BBC Radio London, had been “taken out of context”.

Mr Johnson has had a somewhat fractious relationship with Mr Cameron for some
time.

Sources suggested that Mr Johnson’s wish to take over more control of London’s
housing budget would almost certainly now be rejected.

A source said: “The official line is that Boris is Boris, but he has gone too
far this time.

“To accuse the Prime Minister of social cleansing is well over the top. It is
fair to say that the PM was bristling with anger when he heard.”