On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Charles M. Gagnon wrote:

> I'm trying to use NewsClipper on my ISP's server. I do not
> have root access to the system so the amount of changes I can
> make are very limited.

You may want to see the FAQ on installing local copies of modules that NC
needs. You may also want to spend money for the commercial version, which has
pre-compiled binaries that will save you a lot of headache.

> I first tried with 1.20 who seem to require perl 5.005. The
> documentation mentionned 5.004 so I tried anyway. I managed
> to get some of it working but I was getting tons of parsing
> errors.

Can you be specific about the parsing errors?

> I tried using 1.17 but to no avail. I can't get it work
> right.

Don't use 1.17. Use the new version.

> Did anyone manage to install and run NewsClipper 1.20 on a
> perl 5.004 linux system.

I've installed it several times by following the directions in the README
file. Can you tell us where in the installation process things go wrong, and
how they go wrong?

Thanks,
David