Greetings!

Shalom Craimer has a new version (0.3) of his "newspopup" filter.  This new
version can take any hash (not just a Slashdot one). It should hit the
database in the next day or so. This filter rivals "map" in complexity -- be
sure to read the documentation!

Next: perlnews has changed -- the handler now gets the news articles from
news.perl.org.  I've added "perlmodulenews" to provide the list of the most
recent modules, and "perlcomnews" provides news from perl.com.

Finally, the new handler syntax will have two additional fields:
- a STATUS field with "broken", "operational", "obsolete". This will allow
  people to browse (but not download) obsolete/broken handlers.
- a USAGETYPE field for commercial/non-commercial use of a handler, plus a
  licensing cost field for commercial use.

The second item is looking forward to the day when we can provide a mechanism
to allow for-profit use of copyrighted material. As things now stand,
"personal use" is covered by the fair use clauses of copyright law. However,
businesses that want to republish, say, full articles from CNN will have to
pay CNN royalties. While we're not ready to offer this capability yet, we will
have to in the future.

[As it turns out, we've been asked by UselessKnowledge.com to remove the
handler for their website until we can pay royalties. While we could argue
personal use, it seems better to comply until we can offer compensation.]

Regards,
David