John Wellington Ennis
Filmmaker, Activist, Some Dude
Ken Blackwell Redefines Racism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-wellington-ennis/ken-blackwell-redefines-r_b_162050.html

Right now, The Republican National Committee is convening in
Washington in desperate search for new leadership. The one thing they
can agree on, according to The Washington Post, is that they are
looking for a way to get away from Ex-Decider George W. Bush.

As I have previously pronounced in endorsing his bid for RNC Chair,
Ken Blackwell is an embarrassingly bad politician. But when it comes
to crippling elections with tenacious scheming through the courts,
the media, and arcane state election law, Blackwell can be something
of a mastermind. Ken Blackwell's administration of elections in Ohio
could be compared to Kafka, but even Franz Kafka helped bring about
worker's compensation.

Right now, the Supreme Court is hearing a case that challenges
renewing aspects of the Voting Rights Act. Redistricting in all 50
states is set to occur over the next several years, and certain areas
in the South with entrenched histories of disenfranchising black
voters need authority from the Justice Department, called
"preclearance."

Ken Blackwell argues that since some African Americans have held
office and judicial positions, America is a very different place than
in 1965, when the Voting Rights Act was written. Since it is a
different place than when the law was first written, it surely could
no longer apply: "Does America still need draconian laws that were
passed to combat endemic racism and overt hostility?" Actually --
yeah, we need more laws, and enforcement of existing laws. Getting
Karl Rove's partisan prosecutor appointments out of the Justice
Department would be a great place to start.

Maybe laws that require federal oversight in re-districting
historically corrupt areas seem draconian to Blackwell -- he prefers
laws that do the job of knocking voters off the rolls for him. Like
House Bill 3 in Ohio, championed by Blackwell in 2005, part of which
took the voter-purging tactic known as "caging" and made it a state
practice. Thus, voters who have not voted in two previous federal
elections have their voter registration revoked.

Or maybe Blackwell prefers laws that farm out our elections to
Republican corporations, like when he gave a no-bid contract to
Diebold? As secretary of state of Ohio, Blackwell famously once
required that voter registration cards could only be processed if
they were printed on 80 lb. paper, as an obscure decades-old
directive had once requested. Some might call that act "draconian"; I
call it "dickhead-ian." Clinically speaking, Ken Blackwell is
obsessive-compulsive about preventing people from voting.

Blackwell doesn't oppose this law because it's old. He knows how
populations vote, and how to hedge your bets by shaving off a
reliable Democratic demographic. Blackwell sees the opportunity to
take the voter suppression tactics he honed at the precinct level to
the national level through dismantling the Voting Rights Act. And he
is boasting his vision for this to the caretakers of the RNC, showing
them that if the GOP can't win new voters, he can at least attack
other voters.

Election subversion and voter suppression has only grown in recent
years, becoming a veritable cottage industry. My film FREE FOR ALL!
crams in as much of this available evidence as possible in 90
minutes. One of my documentary's subjects, author and professor Mark
Crispin Miller, writes astutely about this case before SCOTUS,
Northwest Austin Municipal Utility District Number One v. Mukasey,
No. 08-322:

        While the lawsuit claims that things have universally
improved since 1965, the evidence makes clear
        that, since 2000, things have gotten just as bad as they once
were, or even worse-albeit voters black
        and brown and red (and student voters of all colors) are now
deprived of their essential civil right not
        through crude violence, as in Selma once upon a time, but
through methods infinitely subtler, and far
        more efficient.

Voter purges, ID laws, under-equipped polls in black neighborhoods,
bogus voter fraud charges, and outright lying to the public are just
some of these methods employed by Ken Blackwell and other Republicans
across the country.

It seems so petty to consider that other candidates for RNC Chair
were chided for racial insensitivity for putting a Rush Limbaugh song
on a holiday mix CD, or belonging to a "Whites Only" country club.
Blackwell proudly wants to tear down historical statutes protecting
black voters. While I thought there might not be anything more
offensive than "Barack the Magic Negro," this would be it.

Ken Blackwell insisted in an interview at the Republican National
Convention that he totally has not had homosexual feelings, but if he
had, he would have suppressed them because it's obviously wrong. I
truly believe Ken Blackwell is not gay, because his campaign against
gay marriage in Ohio in 2004 smacked much more of opportunism to win
favor with evangelicals, rather than full-on gay bashing. The
right-wingers who really demonize gays and lesbians are the closet
cases. Besides, Ken Blackwell -- as an individual, and as a candidate
-- is not nearly well put-together enough to have a hope of being
gay, even metrosexual.

But I think Blackwell's instinct to resist what you are in order to
earn the approval of conservatives kind of says it all. That Ken
Blackwell, an African American, has worked so relentlessly to
disenfranchise so many other African American voters says more on its
own than I could ever try to. One could speculate endlessly about the
sociological (or sociopathic) layers of character in such a man.
Believe me, I have -- I already made a feature documentary about him,
and I still have enough for a sequel.

There are many who have said that black people can never be racist,
in the context of "racist" meaning institutionalized bias. Through
Ken Blackwell, institutionalized racism at the voting booth might not
only survive, it could spread. Now that there's a black president, it
doesn't feel like racism is over, or that institutionalized divisions
of class and race have gone "poof," but I'll check with some black
people and get back to you. As Bill Maher said, having a black
president does not itself signify equality -- having an unqualified
black president will.