From Teresa Hommel:

The NYC Board of Elections has set up 5 public demos of the two
optical scanner systems seeking certification to be sold in New York
State.

The schedule is below. Please try to attend at least one demo.

The two vendors are:

ES&S
<http://www.votersunite.org/electionproblems.asp?sort=date&selectstate=ALL&selectvendor=ESS&selectproblemtype=ALL>www.votersunite.org/electionproblems.asp?sort=date&selectstate=ALL&selectvendor=ESS&selectproblemtype=ALL

Sequoia
<http://www.votersunite.org/electionproblems.asp?sort=date&selectstate=ALL&selectvendor=Sequoia&selectproblemtype=ALL>www.votersunite.org/electionproblems.asp?sort=date&selectstate=ALL&selectvendor=Sequoia&selectproblemtype=ALL

Key questions to ask are:

1. What is the purchase price of these optical scanners?

2. What is the total amount of the continuing fees or costs after
purchase, regardless of the terminology the vendor uses, such as
maintenance agreement, service agreement, licensing fee, update fee,
etc.

3. Is the vendor willing to allow their system to be used in a public
hacking test to show that the system is not easily corrupted? The NY
City Council passed a resolution in Aug. 2006 to ask the NYC Board of
Elections to hold public hacking tests to show that these systems are
not as easy to tamper with as investigators have charged.
Resolution 228A-2006
<http://www.wheresthepaper.org/ny.html#CCreso228>www.wheresthepaper.org/ny.html#CCreso228

4. Will the Board of Elections be able to do all the work to conduct
elections with this equipment, or will they need your assistance on
an ongoing basis? What activities will require your assistance?

My current position:

I have come to believe that New York State should take all necessary
actions to keep our mechanical lever machines. We should not
computerize our elections.

My reasons are explained at
<http://www.wheresthepaper.org/ny.html#KeepLevers>www.wheresthepaper.org/ny.html#KeepLevers

(You may notice that I am updating my "New York" web page after a
year of being unable to do so, but it is not finished yet!)

Briefly, in these economic times, no county will be able to afford to
convert properly, or to run proper audits. I predict that no county
will want to keep the voted ballots in continuous public view to
allow continuous public observation to safeguard the ballots from
both tampering and the suspicion of tampering. Given our difficulty
in recruiting poll workers, I am not sure that we can recruit
sufficient observers to watch the ballots. I also anticipate
difficulty in getting laws or regulations that require statistically
significant audits rather than a flat 3% spot-check.

I advocated for voter-marked paper ballots and optical scanners for
nearly 4 years, and I am proud of that effort because it helped to
save our state and city from DREs, which are electronic voting
machines (rather than optical scanners which are electronic counting
machines).

Please read my explanation of our current situation, and reply to let
me know if you agree.
<http://www.wheresthepaper.org/ny.html#KeepLevers>www.wheresthepaper.org/ny.html#KeepLevers

Teresa Hommel
<http://www.wheresthepaper.org>www.wheresthepaper.org

NYC Board of Elections demonstrations
of Optical Scanners and accessible Ballot Marking Devices
Feb. 17 - Feb 26, 2009:

<http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/bmdDemoSchedule.html>http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/bmdDemoSchedule.html

Brooklyn - Tues. Feb. 17, 2009, 6 to 8:30 pm
Brooklyn College, Student Center
Gold Room, 6th floor, 2900 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11210
(on Campus Road between East 27th St. and Amersfort Pl.)

Bronx - Wed. Feb. 18, 2009, 6 to 8:30 pm
Bronx Library Center, Auditorium
310 East Kingsbridge Road, Bronx, NY 10458
(at Briggs Avenue)

Staten Island - Thurs. Feb. 19, 2009, 6 to 8:30 pm
Office of the Commissioner of Jurors, Jury Room
126 Stuyvesant Place, Staten Island, NY 10301

Manhattan - Wed. Feb. 25, 2009, 6 to 8:30 pm
Associated Blind/Selis Manor, Auditorium
135 W. 23rd Street, New York, NY 10011

Queens - Thurs. Feb. 26, 2009, 6 to 8:30 pm
LaGuardia Community College, Little Theater
31-10 Thomson Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101
(on Thomson Avenue between 31st Street and Van Dam Street)