Posted at 1:20 PM ET, 03/11/2009

A Departure That Leaves a Debate in Its Wake

Chas Freeman leads a panel discussion last year.
(<http://www.mepc.org/forums_chcs/51.asp>Middle East Policy Council
photo)

<http://voices.washingtonpost.com/white-house-watch/2009/03/a_departure_that_leaves_a_void.html?wprss=white-house-watch>http://voices.washingtonpost.com/white-house-watch/2009/03/a_departure_that_leaves_a_void.html?wprss=white-house-watch

Chas Freeman, whose selection last month as chairman of the National
Intelligence Council sparked controversy -- mostly from supporters of
Israel who opposed his taking a more balanced view of the region --
stepped down under fire yesterday. Freeman was set to oversee the
production of national intelligence estimates, the reports that
represent the consensus view of the intelligence community.

<http://www.niemanwatchdog.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ask_this.view&askthisid=179>interviewed

Freeman three years ago, and have followed his work since then. He is
a profoundly independent thinker, a provocateur and a gadfly. Until
recently, he ran a small Washington think tank and dedicated himself
to seeking answers to questions that otherwise might never even have
gotten asked, because they were too embarrassing, awkward, or
difficult.

Weighing in on his appointment on the Nieman Watchdog blog a few
weeks ago, I called him a
<http://blog.niemanwatchdog.org/?p=827>one-man destroyer of
groupthink.

I felt more secure knowing that with his involvement in the process,
there would never be another national intelligence estimate -- say,
about Iran -- like the one concocted in the run-up to war in Iraq.

And now he's gone, driven out by withering criticism that was not
solely based on his views on Israel, but substantially so.

As
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/washington/11intel.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>Mark

Mazzetti writes in the New York Times: "Mr. Freeman had come under
sharp criticism for his past statements about Israel as well as for
his association with the Saudi and Chinese governments....

"A former ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Mr. Freeman had in recent years
questioned Washington's steadfast support for Israel. He had also
been deputy chief of mission at the American Embassy in Beijing. His
critics unearthed past statements that they contended had seemed to
support the crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiananmen
Square in 1989."

Freeman argued in a
<http://www.niemanwatchdog.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Background.view&backgroundid=197>2007

speech that making peace between Israelis and Arabs was a critical
step to solving the terrorism problem. He decried "the brutal
oppression of the Palestinians by an Israeli occupation that is about
to mark its fortieth anniversary and shows no sign of ending." And he
said: "There will be no negotiation between Israelis and
Palestinians, no peace, and no reconciliation between them - and
there will be no reduction in anti-American terrorism - until we have
the courage to act on our interests. These are not the same as those
of any party in the region, including Israel, and we must talk with
all parties, whatever we think of them or their means of struggle."

Earlier yesterday, at a Senate Armed Services Committee, Freeman's
would-be boss, National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair, defended
the appointment in extraordinarily strong terms. Via
<http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/10/lieberman-on-freeman/>Thinkprogress,
Blair said: "Those of us who know him find him to be a person of
strong views, of inventive mind from an analytical point of view -
I'm not talking about policy - and that when we go back and forth
with him, a better understanding comes out of those interactions.
That's primarily the value that I think he will bring....

"I think I can do a better job if I'm getting strong analytical
viewpoints to sort out and pass on to you and to the president than
if I'm getting precooked pablum judgments that don't really
challenge."

Freeman's departure leaves behind it an important question: Should it
really be off limits for a political appointee to openly suggest that
the U.S. commitment to Israel be balanced with a concern for the rest
of the region? In modern Washington, does "impartiality" in the
context of the Middle East actually mean reflexive, nearly
unconditional support for Israel?

Freeman himself, in an
<http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/03/10/freeman_speaks_out_on_his_exit>angry

note to friends yesterday, argued that the attacks against him "show
conclusively that there is a powerful lobby determined to prevent any
view other than its own from being aired, still less to factor in
American understanding of trends and events in the Middle East....The
aim of [the Israel Lobby] is control of the policy process through
the exercise of a veto over the appointment of people who dispute the
wisdom of its views, the substitution of political correctness for
analysis, and the exclusion of any and all options for decision by
Americans and our government other than those that it favors."

The entire episode "will be seen by many to raise serious questions
about whether the Obama administration will be able to make its own
decisions about the Middle East and related issues."

<http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/03/10/freeman/>Glenn
Greenwald blogs for Salon: "In the U.S., you can advocate torture,
illegal spying, and completely optional though murderous wars and be
appointed to the highest positions. But you can't, apparently,
criticize Israeli actions too much or question whether America's
blind support for Israel should be re-examined."

And
<http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/03/what-real-power.html>Andrew

Sullivan blogs for Atlantic about "What Real Power In Washington
Means": "You get to dictate to a president who he can and cannot
appoint to his own intelligence staff. This was not a
Senate-confirmation issue. And it was not because of some financial
or tax issue. It was because of what he believed. And a president is
simply not allowed to have that kind of diversity of view in his
administration. And he knows this is a battle he shouldn't fight."

Peace,
Liz

Liz Rich
lizrich...@aol.com