<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=ggSb8M_3BALylI77uZjCWA..>VIEW WEB PAGE
|  <http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=ICZXmHzZOE9dESqEB7uXxw..>TELL A
FRIEND  |
<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=fIj8L0K6Ch6zyZWMMQnKCA..>SUBSCRIBE
<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=I05qBZ7qZUbkp2JgNX1Z-Q..>

Please join me in signing the petition now.

"Please vote to confirm Dawn Johnsen to head the OLC, and reject all
procedural efforts to derail the confirmation of this eminently
qualified nominee."

<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=kyi8taql7QpPMVHVYIbQkw..>
Dear William,

Republicans in the Senate are banding together and threatening to
filibuster one of President Obama's best executive branch nominees to
date: Dawn Johnsen, nominated to head the incredibly important Office
of Legal Counsel (OLC) at the Department of Justice.

The OLC plays a critical role in ensuring that the government plays
by the rules. But under President Bush, the office was "ground zero"
in providing the legal justifications for torture and warrantless
spying, offering opinions that defied the Constitution, the Geneva
Conventions and the Supreme Court. Dawn Johnsen is the right person
to restore integrity to this vital office.

Part partisan blackmail, part pander to the Religious Right, and on
all levels, thoroughly soaked in hypocrisy, the GOP's opposition to
Johnsen cannot go unanswered. And we can't let a filibuster succeed.

<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=Q9ScZ6e51JfQUZRtCv0nVg..>Please join
me in signing PFAW's emergency petition to confirm Dawn Johnsen right
now.

Then ask five others to join the petition.

Congress is in recess and we need to build this petition into a
powerful lobbying tool before the Senate reconvenes and the
Republicans have a chance to move forward with filibuster plans.

Dawn Johnsen's confirmation is tremendously important for the same
reasons she is being targeted. She's shown a fierce commitment to the
fundamental constitutional values the Bush administration trashed.
She was an outspoken critic of legal arguments coming out of the OLC
-- arguments that supported torture and undermined privacy and due
process. She put a voice to how we all felt, and made the case in
clear, legal terms against what we all knew in our hearts was also
morally wrong.

It's easy to see why senators on the right, interested in protecting
President Bush's legacy and burying his administration's misconduct,
would fear Johnsen. And so they have resorted to distorting her
record and attacking her qualifications. It's not only insulting to
Johnsen, it demeans the intelligence of those who have to listen to
it. Johnsen is eminently qualified, having actually headed the OLC in
1997 and 1998 as Acting Assistant Attorney General (due to the GOP
holding up President Clinton's nominee to fill that slot at the time,
Beth Nolan).

Please, if you've needed to read this far to click and sign the
petition, <http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=6vm-dhwYn7mGqL8GT3IS5g..>go
ahead and do it now. We need your signature right away.

As you may know, in addition to being a longtime board member of
People For the American Way Foundation, I have long been an activist
for a woman's right to choose. That's why I am so disturbed that the
most vitriolic public attacks targeting Dawn Johnsen's nomination
have been about her advocacy on behalf of reproductive freedom. The
Religious Right -- as PFAW has said -- treats pro-choice bona fides
as an instant disqualifier, but we can't let Republican senators who
purport to be pro-choice get away with blacklisting Dawn Johnsen
because the Right doesn't like her experience working for the right
to choose.

I promise that I'll be doing all I can to make sure Dawn Johnsen's
confirmation succeeds. I hope you will be with me every step of the
way.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Turner
Actor, Activist, PFAW Supporter and PFAW Foundation Board Member

P.S. It's equally important that after you sign the Dawn Johnsen
petition, you ask others to do the same. Please share it with groups
you are a part of, other activists you may know and your friends on
Facebook or other online communities to which you belong. Use this
link:
<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=B4F1RvByyLjoTt7WS1LXtg..>http://site.pfaw.org/DawnJohnsen

<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=QUInPb1qWxr8w_FBG_fw_g..>pfaw.org  |
<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=jLBFd02vYyH-rKDoVIXsbg..>privacy
policy  |
<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=ekeJAr8_mMPKmos9I2X1xQ..>subscribe

|  <http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=xVknIT4GKD2IrE1Z3niGdg..>contact us

Do not reply directly to this e-mail. Please use
<mailto:p...@pfaw.org.>p...@pfaw.org.

2000 M Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, 202-467-4999

<http://site.pfaw.org/site/R?i=1DNYV1dsk29LKKxMn7ko1A..>