<http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2009/04/clarence-thomas>Lest we
forget another of Bush Senior's crimes against democracy.

(It was also Bush the Elder who introduced Mike Connell to Karl Rove
and Dubya.)

MCM

Crime and Justice
Clarence Thomas Is One Seriously Troubled Dude
By Jonathan Stein | Mon April 13, 2009 12:01 PM PST

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2009/04/clarence-thomas

This New York Times article on a rare public appearance by Justice
Clarence Thomas -- a talk with high school essay contest winners --
is enough to make you feel sorry for the poor schmuck, if he wasn't
on the most powerful court in the land and thus able to place the
imprint of his neuroses and obvious self-loathing on the legacy of
American jurisprudence.

The article makes clear, simply by quoting the famously taciturn
Thomas, that he believes he is dumber than all the other justices and
a good number of law professors, and retreats into isolation ("I tend
to be morose sometimes") to nurse his wounds and brood. What an awful
purgatory of an existence: to know you are a fraud, to know that
everyone else knows you are a fraud, and yet to be locked into your
job more or less for life. It's enough to ruin a person. And it
appears it has.

April 14, 2009

A Reticent Justice Opens Up to a Group of Students
By ADAM LIPTAK

WASHINGTON

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/us/14bar.html?_r=1&hp>http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/us/14bar.html?_r=1&hp

Justice Clarence Thomas has not asked a question from the Supreme
Court bench since Feb. 22, 2006. He speaks only to announce his
majority opinions, reading summaries in a gruff monotone. Glimpses of
Justice Thomas in less formal settings are rare.

But he turned up in a Washington ballroom the other night to respond
to questions from the winners of a high school essay contest. His
answers and the remarks that preceded them provided a revealing look
at Justice Thomas's worldview these days.

He talked about his own school days, reminiscing fondly about seeing
"a flag and a crucifix in each classroom." He talked about his
burdens and his dark moods and about seeking inspiration in speeches
and movies. And though the dinner was sponsored by the Bill of Rights
Institute, he admitted to an uneasy relationship with the whole idea
of rights.

The institute had arranged for a fancy hot-pink lectern that glowed
from the inside, and it was odd to see Justice Thomas, who is wary of
ostentation, standing behind it. His plainspoken manner was in sharp
contrast to his surroundings.

"I tend to be morose sometimes," the justice said.

"I am rounding the last turn for my 18th term on the court," he
added, but his work - "this endeavor," he called it, "or, for some,
an ordeal" - has not gotten easier. "That's one thing about this
job," he said. "You get a little tired."

But he said he has found solace in his den.

"Sometimes, when I get a little down," Justice Thomas said wearily,
he goes online. "I look up wonderful speeches, like speeches by
Douglas MacArthur, to hear him give without a note that speech at
West Point - 'duty, honor, country.' How can you not hear those words
and not feel strongly about what we have?"

He continued: "Or how can you not reminisce about a childhood where
you began each day with the Pledge of Allegiance as little kids lined
up in the schoolyard and then marched in two by two with a flag and a
crucifix in each classroom?"

A favorite movie can be a comfort, too.

"I have on many occasions or a number of occasions when things were
becoming particularly routine gone down to my basement to watch
'Saving Private Ryan,' " he said. "I can't tell you why that
particular movie, except we have it and it's about something
important in our lives - World War II."

The event, on March 31, was devoted to the Bill of Rights, but
Justice Thomas did not embrace the document, and he proposed a couple
of alternatives.

'Today there is much focus on our rights," Justice Thomas said.
"Indeed, I think there is a proliferation of rights."

"I am often surprised by the virtual nobility that seems to be
accorded those with grievances," he said. "Shouldn't there at least
be equal time for our Bill of Obligations and our Bill of
Responsibilities?"

He gave examples: "It seems that many have come to think that each of
us is owed prosperity and a certain standard of living. They're owed
air conditioning, cars, telephones, televisions."

Those are luxuries, Justice Thomas said.

"I have to admit," he said, "that I'm one of those people that still
thinks the dishwasher is a miracle. What a device! And I have to
admit that because I think that way, I like to load it. I like to
look in and see how that dishes were magically cleaned."

He was asked how his religious faith influenced his work on the court.

"I think that it really gives content to the oath that you took,"
Justice Thomas said. "You say, 'so help me God.' "

"There are some cases that will drive you to your knees," he added.
"In those moments you ask for strength and wisdom to have the right
answer and the courage to stand up for it. Beyond that, it would be
illegitimate, I think, and a violation of my oath to incorporate my
religious beliefs into the decision-making process."

The questions from students were read to Justice Thomas, and the
first one seemed to throw him off. "Since the Civil War, what has
changed the way Americans view the Constitution the most and why?" an
unidentified student asked.

Justice Thomas gave a rambling response, touching on the Fourteenth
Amendment, the rights of freed slaves, the application of parts of
the Bill of Rights to the states and Justice John Marshall Harlan's
dissent in Plessy v. Ferguson, the 1896 Supreme Court decision that
endorsed the doctrine of "separate but equal."

"I'm sure there are other things that have happened," he said,
wrapping up his answer. "So I would have to say just off the top of
my head the Fourteenth Amendment. And I bet you someone's going to
hear that and say, well, no, it's the dormant commerce clause or
something."

That was a curious aside. Few Americans could name the the dormant
commerce clause, and it has no obvious connection to how popular
views of the Constitution changed after the Civil War. "This job is
easy for people who've never done it," Justice Thomas said later.
"What I have found in this job is they know more about it than I do,
especially if they have the title, law professor."

Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company