From Jeff Wallen:

Hi Mark,

I've been finding interesting the pieces you sent out on Shlomo
Sand's book.  I just returned a day ago from Siracusa, Sicily (I'm in
Berlin, Germany for the semester), and learned while there of the
large Jewish community that was there from the 1st C. AD until 1493,
when they were kicked out.  And they recently discovered a wonderful
Mikveh (ritual bath) buried deeply beneath a building, apparently
sealed off by the Jews when they left over 500 years ago.

Here's another review of the Sand book which you might find of
interest, written by Israel Bartal, a prominent Israeli historian
(and whom I happen to know and respect; he chaired a panel at a
conference I gave a paper at a year or so ago in Israel; he's a
historian of Eastern European Jewry):

Being in Germany, all your emails are one of my main American
glimpses of what's happening in the U.S. (I prefer to read the German
newspapers, rather than looking online for American news).

Hope you're well,

Jeff