Sort of like Jim Jeffords did back in '02--which then drove Rove & Co. to steal
the Senate seats in Georgia (Saxby Chambliss) and Colorado (Wayne Allard),
probably New Hampshire (John Sununu) and maybe Minnesota (Norm Coleman),
all four pick-ups giving the Repubs a sudden big advantage.

Thus Jeffords' move provoked a crime spree that included the illegal software
patches surreptitiously applied to the e-voting machines in two
Georgia counties;
the phone-jamming scheme in southern New Hampshire; and other dirty moves
(which some would say--although I never would!--included the assassination
of Paul Wellstone).

It was, in short, an action-packed Election Day that year, and
fraught with wild
anomalies--but the exit polls did not illuminate the situation,
since, that year,
there weren't any! (The result of a mysterious computer glitch, reportedly.)

So if Bush/Cheney's party doesn't just give up the ghost, as it
really should have
done some time ago, next year's Election Day should be a real humdinger.

MCM
<http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/specter-to-switch-parties.html?hpid=topnews>
Specter To Switch Parties

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/specter-to-switch-parties.html?hpid=topnews

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter will switch his party affiliation
from Republican to Democrat and announced today that he will run in
2010 as a Democrat, according to a statement he released this morning.

Specter's decision would give Democrats a 60 seat filibuster proof
majority in the Senate assuming Democrat Al Franken is eventually
sworn in as the next senator from Minnesota. (Former senator Norm
Coleman is appealing Franken's victory in the state Supreme Court.)

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic
primary," said Specter in a statement. "I am ready, willing and
anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election
determined in a general election."

He added: "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent,
the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than
200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to
become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line
with Democrats than Republicans."

President Obama was informed of Specter's decision at around 10:25
a.m., according to White House officials, and reached out to the
senator minutes later to tell him "you have my full support," and we
are "thrilled to have you."

Specter as a Democrat would also fundamentally alter the 2010
calculus in Pennsylvania as he was expected to face a difficult
primary challenge next year from former Rep. Pat Toomey. The only
announced Democrat in the race is former National Constitution Center
head Joe Torsella although several other candidates are looking at
the race.

The precariousness of Specter's political position -- a Republican in
a Democratic-leaning state -- was on display earlier this year when
he was one of three GOP senators to back President Obama's $787
billion economic stimulus plan. That vote was strongly condemned by
conservative Republicans and Toomey used that vote as the launching
pad for his candidacy.

Because of the shrinking Republican vote in the state, Specter was
seen as a dead man walking politically in the primary with polling
showing him trailing Toomey by ten or more points. The bar for
Specter to run as an independent was also extremely high due to the
rules governing such a third party candidacy.

That left a Democratic candidacy as Specter's best option if he
wanted to remain in the Senate beyond 2010.