The swine flu pandemic has been largely understated, its broad and
rapid spread obscured by
light, haphazard coverage, and its true virulence downplayed.

Here the Guardian provides a pretty candid summary of the situation
in the UK. Below that
is a piece from Argentina, noting one physician's claim that "the
government is 'underreporting'
the number of deaths and cases."

Also, bacteriologists in Brazil have discovered a new strain of the
virus, although they don't
yet know if it's more lethal than the ones they've seen thus far:

<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jOVEa-TOAEQ3t1NAik9vzooON1FA>AFP:

South America bears winter brunt of H1N1 pandemic

Now, what we don't need is to have the media hype the danger--a move that would
induce the sort of panic that the government could then exploit with
soldiers in the streets
and mandatory universal vaccination (with vaccines that themselves
may well be lethal, or
just ineffective).

What we do need--and it's depressingly hard to imagine--is the sort
of rational and
honest coverage that a growing health emergency requires, but that
the corporate media, by
and large, can't and/or won't give us.

We need honest coverage of the swine flu crisis, just as we need
honest coverage of the
economic meltdown--whose consequences also are far graver than our
press and President
would have us think.

It's as if the whole United States has turned into that little
Massachusetts beach resort in Jaws,
where the authorities hush up a mortal danger.

MCM

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/02/swine-flu-uk>
UK swine flu can no longer be contained
Government moves to 'treatment phase' as health secretary says
infection rate could reach 100,000 a day by end of August

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/02/swine-flu-uk

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/swine-flu>Swine flu is spreading so
rapidly across Britain that there could be 100,000 new cases a day by
the end of next month, the health secretary, Andy Burnham, said today.

The UK would immediately move to the "treatment phase" of its plan to
combat swine <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/flu>flu, meaning
doctors would no longer test for the H1N1 virus and urge anyone with
symptoms to stay at home, Burnham told the House of Commons.

The first swine flu vaccine would be made available from August, with
60m doses available by the end of the year, he added.

"We have reached the next stage in management of the disease,"
Burnham said. "The national focus will be on treating the increasing
numbers affected by swine flu. We will move to this treatment phase
across the UK with immediate effect."

The move does not mean the H1N1 virus, which was declared a pandemic
by the World Health Organisation last month, is becoming more deadly,
just that it can no longer be contained.

Burnham said there was a "considerable rise" in swine flu cases last week.

"We have always known it would be impossible to contain the virus
indefinitely and at some point we would need to move away from
containment to treatment.

"Cases are doubling every week and on this trend we could see over
100,000 cases per day by the end of August.

"The pressure on the system is such that it is the right time to take
this step. Scientists can expect to see rapid rises in the number of
cases."

The Health Protection Agency today announced that a further 518
patients in England had been confirmed with swine flu, while the
figure for the UK as a whole rose to 7,447.

Efforts to trace people who had been in contact with swine flu cases
would now stop and schools no longer needed to close when hit by the
virus, unless particular circumstances made it necessary.

The government has said that not everybody with swine flu would
receive anti-viral drugs, which may be reserved for at-risk groups.

The daily collation of swine flu cases would also end because it was
proving time-consuming. Instead, "more general" estimates of numbers
would be given. Other affected countries already update their swine
flu numbers less frequently, such as weekly or every other day.

The official statistics on the virus were likely to underestimate the
true scale of infection in the UK because now only a sample of
patients in the hotspots had a diagnosis of swine flu confirmed by
lab tests. Many people were thought to have such mild symptoms that
they were not bothering to contact their doctors while others were
being treated in surgeries without being regarded as suspected swine
flu cases.

In swine flu hotspots such as London, the West Midlands and parts of
Scotland diagnosis of the virus was already being done by doctors
rather than laboratory testing, and tracing the contacts of people
with swine flu and the use of preventative anti-viral drugs had
stopped. Anti-viral drugs were still being offered to all people with
symptoms.

Although a bout of swine flu was currently causing less serious
illness than traditional seasonal flu, three people with other
serious health conditions in the UK have died after catching the
virus and there are concerns it could mutate into a more virulent
form.

The chief medical officer, Sir Liam Donaldson, has warned that there
may be tens of thousands of cases each week this autumn, because the
virus is more likely to thrive in a colder climate.

June 30 | Argentina (AR) | 3 new deaths confirmed, class cancelled

http://trancy.net/2009/06/30/june-30-argentina-ar-3-new-deaths-confirmed-class-cancelled/

Three more people died in Argentina after contracting influenza A,
reported the chief of medicine at the Italian Hospital in Buenos
Aires Alejandra Valledor during an interview to a local radio.

The physician said the victims have "not been included" in the lists
of influenza A fatalities made by the Health Ministry. Valledor
claimed the government is "underreporting" the number of deaths and
cases. The Health Minister has confirmed 29 deaths.

She added that hospitals in different parts of the country have been
"overcrowded" due to the large number of patients who contacted the
deadly illness.

Sources of the Emergency Room of the Argerich hospital told The
Herald it had "collapsed" as a result of the large number of cases,
and added that breathing machines might not be enough to cope with
the growing demand.

At least people have died of swine flu in that hospital in the city
of Buenos Aires, including a 25-year-old man, the source added,
describing the "incredibly speed of the illness, which leads people
to cough to death in a matter of days."