Despite that groovy little garden planted by
Michelle Obama right behind the White House,
this president's food policy is not so green,
since Tom Vilsack, his Agriculture Secretary,
supports the use of GM foods, as, certainly, do
those Monsanto veterans whom Obama has
now also brought on board.

Let's make sure the administration knows we won't
put up with it, as there's already solid
evidence that GM foods are poison (literally and economically).

MCM
<http://blogs.healthfreedomalliance.org/blog/2009/08/02/the-nightmare-of-gm-foods/>

The Nightmare of GM Foods

http://blogs.healthfreedomalliance.org/blog/2009/08/02/the-nightmare-of-gm-foods/

"You have to know where your food is coming
from." These words of warning were spoken
by biologist and plant expert, Arpad Puszati at a
gathering of concerned citizens in St.
Catherine's, Ontario earlier this year.(1)

As far back as 1998, Dr. Puszati’s research at
the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen,
Scotland showed that genetically modified
potatoes caused health problems in rats,
including a weakened immune system and abnormal
growth. For blowing the whistle on Big Agra, he
was dismissed
from his job.

Eleven years later, as companies like Monsanto
successfully silenced their critics, genetically
modified organisms have gained a stronghold in
taking over the world's food supply--in spite
of the fact that a growing body of evidence shows
the alarming health effects that are being seen
in people and animals who are consuming GM foods.
But unlike years ago, concerned physicians and
scientists are now banding together and advising
their patients and the general public to avoid GM
foods altogether.

The latest professional group to voice their
warnings is the American Academy of Environmental
Medicine (AAEM) who is advising physicians to
educate their patients and the medical community
about the health risks of GM foods--including
"infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging,
insulin regulation, and changes in major organs
and the gastrointestinal system."(2)

Why are these medical professionals so sure that
GM foods are to blame for the growing list of
health problems? Because of the reason and method
they were manufactured. GM corn and cotton for
example, are produced with a built-in pesticide
called Bt. When the insect bites the plant, the
poison kills it. The problem is that the Bt toxin
in GM plants is thousands of times more
concentrated and toxic than the spray
version--and it cannot be washed off. It's part
of the plant.

And as health professionals for the AAEM have
pointed out, there are precious few human studies
to document the safety of GM foods. The animal
studies however, tell a frightening story.(2)

Here are just a few examples:

* When GM soy was fed to female rats, most of
their babies died within three weeks—compared to
a 10% death rate among the control group fed
natural soy. When male rats were fed GM soy,
their testicles turned from a natural pink to
dark blue.

* In India when grazing animals fed on the remainder of harvested GM
cotton plants, all of them died including
thousands of sheep. Those that grazed on natural
cotton plants remained healthy.

* In the US, farmers have reported that thousands
of pigs became sterile after eating GM corn.

* In Germany, GM corn is thought to have caused
the death of both cows and horses.

There is only one human study so far that
demonstrates what GM foods might be doing to us--
and it is chilling indeed. The modified gene that
is inserted into GM soy transfers into the DNA of
our intestinal bacteria and is still functional.
This means our own gut flora could continue to
produce the pesticide long after we have eaten
the food--perhaps forever.(2)

Could GM foods be the cause of skyrocketing
numbers of obesity, diabetes, autism, and even
cancer? According to researchers, it may be, but
we may never know for sure. The link to GM foods
can't be traced and the onset of the disease may
take several years.

But that doesn’t mean we should take any chances,
or wait for the results to come in. If Big Agra
has its way, any damning evidence that links GM
foods to chronic diseases will be stifled and the
epidemic of immune and degenerative diseases will
continue to rise.

What you can do is stay away from all processed
food unless it clearly states on the package that
it is organic or made from non-GMO ingredients.
According to the Institute for Responsible
Technology and the Center for Food Safety, you
should also steer clear of soy or corn
derivatives, cottonseed and canola oils, and GM
sugar beets. These two organizations provide a
down loadable Non-GMO Shopping Guide for
consumers to refer to help with their food
choices.

Let's not be lab rats for the benefit of Big
Agra. Together we can take a stand and just say
no to the foods that are not fit for human or
animal consumption.