---------------------------------
[22] Harrison on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
'If anyone thinks that all the things David has accomplished have landed in his lap,
they couldn't be more wrong. Since his formative years he has practised from morning
until night. You won't find anyone more dedicated.

'David can do absolutely anything with a football. He deserves all the success he has
achieved so far and, believe me, there is more to come in the future.

---------------------------------
[21] Ginger (hard) nut
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
Eric Harrison on the ginga ninja:

'I have always likened Nicky Butt to Bryan Robson because he is afraid of noone. He
needs to score more goals to become a regular with England but if I was playing in the
roughest, most intimidating of games, I would want Nicky Butt by my side.'

---------------------------------
[20] My left foot
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
As Eric Harrison explains about Giggsy:

'Ryan Giggs, in full flight, is probably the most exciting. He is crucial to a
successful side. Someone has to run with the ball and Ryan is up there with the best.

'When he joined United on a full-time basis after leaving school, there were two
things we needed to improve and we both worked hard on them.

'I improved Ryan's right foot by making him practice with it in crossing sessions and
restricting him from using his left foot. It was like an optician putting a patch over
a child's good eye to make the "lazy eye" work harder - and it worked.'

---------------------------------
[19] You don't say
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
Contrary to reports (stand up Mirror, Sun, Moral etc), the tie-up with YankeesNet will
not earn United billions, nor will it mean that Ferguson can buy the Luis Figos of
this world.

Instead the deal is about a long-term marketing strategy to try and infiltrate the
American market and raise United's profile.

That could take years and United are not banking on the partnership making them
millions overnight.

Under the agreement, United and the Yankees could sell each other's merchandising,
while they may also act jointly in sponsorship negotiations.

The clubs will also exchange information on training and physiotherapy techniques.

Ferguson said: "I think it's a great step. I think the club is always going to look to
improve themselves and not just on the football field, but on the commercial side as
well."

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie looks forward to his travels
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
On the Yankees tie up

"I think it's a fantastic step ahead because we are always trying to project ourselves
and get a higher status in football.

"With the American population over there of between 260 and 300 million, I think, you
have a country which is in the early formation of football.

"They tried it back in the 1970s and it didn't work. They've got it back on song now
and they hosted the World Cup in 1994.

"Obviously it's a young country as far as football is concerned and if we can market
our image over there then we will do well."

---------------------------------
[17] Smile you're on Candid Camera
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
The Scout master on Vierra

'Would he have been charged if he were not on Sky News every five minutes?

'You have to ask yourself if players are more likely to be punished if their matches
are on TV. It can only be right if everybody is under the same scrutiny.

'I'm not saying what the FA must do, but what we have in England now are guidelines,
not rules. It can be very confusing. You just don't know whether you are going to be
punished or not.'

---------------------------------
[16] More Arse escuses
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
You couldn't make it up!

On Kanu:
'It's the English winter,' said the Highbury manager yesterday. 'He can't stand it.'
'It is the temperature change that is the problem. It can be 30 degrees above when he
travels to Nigeria - and then he has to come back to London where there is frost, rain
and wind.

'He has been injured and is back in the squad now. He has not had a successful season
as far as scoring goals is concerned but he is looking sharper in training now.

'I have had a talk with him. Winter is more difficult for him to contend with, and he
has a stamina problem in that he cannot play in as long a range of games as other
players.'

---------------------------------
[15] Bates blasts 'I'll take the lot of yer on'
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
'Who are these people hiding behind expressions like "an insider" or "FA spokesman?"
'Let them have the balls to come out and put a name to their claims and accusations.'

'Why don't these so-called spokesmen come from behind their anonymity. They remind me
of New Labour spin doctors, which I'm sure in one or two cases they'd quite like to
be.

'Let them put a name to their quotes if that's what they think of me. They won't
because they're cowards.

'The public have a right to know what's happening in the national game. They're the
ones who pay their money to fill the grounds. There's too much that gets swept under
the carpet.

'Unfortunately there are too many people at the top of the FA who think they're a law
unto themselves. We have to ask ourselves here who's working for whom? Who appoints
them and who pays their wages?

'If David Davies (the FA's executive director) thinks he can get rid of me, let him
try.

So how about a 'Bates for Ingerlund' chant this afternoon

---------------------------------
[14] A loud pop
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
As the bubble bursts!

The Moral says:

Premiership clubs are bracing themselves to lose £200million in pay-per-view revenues,
it has emerged.
Representatives of the 20 elite clubs will be asked to choose between two bids for the
right to show 40 live matches a season for the next three years. But both offers are
believed to be less than a third of the £328m which chairmen had expected.

---------------------------------
[13] Rent Boys coach on Terry
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
'We believe what we have in the club is another Tony Adams. They have the same
approach to football, the same attitude.

 Best look out for those pesky garden walls when driving then!

'Ever since we converted him into a defender he has shot up in height as if that was
just what he was waiting for. But he can play, there are no doubts about that.'

---------------------------------
[12] Terry turned us down
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
'They won't faze me and they won't worry me,' he said. 'All I 'll be anxious about is
what I do myself.

'I know I could have been playing with them, instead of against them, but I turned
United down because I believed I stood a better chance at Chelsea.'

---------------------------------
[11] Jaap on Rent Boys
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
Chelsea have had a strange season. They’ve struggled away from home, but have
looked very good at Stamford Bridge. With their home crowd, they’ll be very hard
to beat.

---------------------------------
[10] Jaap on Melchiot
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
Chelsea also boast another one of my compatriots in Mario Melchiot. He has done very
well at Stamford Bridge this season. Of course, he scored against United in the
Charity Shield at Wembley. He’s tall, strong and makes good runs from the back.

---------------------------------
[9] Jaap on Jimmy
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
I’ll be up against my Dutch international colleague Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink,
and that’s always a big test. Jimmy is a very good player. He’s so direct
- if he has the ball at his feet near to the penalty area, he’ll go for it. He
likes to shoot as much as possible. Add in his pace and strength and you have a very
good player.

Jimmy has proved his class wherever he’s played. He started at a small club in
Holland before moving to Portugal. From there he went to Leeds, Athletico Madrid and
now Chelsea. If you look at his scoring record, he has got loads of goals at every
club.

---------------------------------
[8] Jaap wants revenge
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
Who could forget the result the last time we played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge! After
all, we lost 5-0. It was a horrible day for us as they absolutely thrashed us. I
remember that Nicky Butt was unneccesarily sent off, which didn't help us, but they
were the better team on the day. We didn't have any real chances, whereas they looked
dangerous every time they attacked. Hopefully, we'll do better on Saturday!

Just flash yer champions medal at them Jaap

---------------------------------
[7]  Fergie looks ahead
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
"The team that plays on Saturday won't necessarily be the team that faces Valencia.
The nucleus will be there, maybe nine or ten of them, but there may be one or two
changes with a view to Wednesday."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie on the Rent Boys
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
"Saturday won't be different from any other League games. The atmosphere is always
good. We've got a good record down there.

"In fact, Stamford Bridge is probably our best away ground, apart from last year when
they thrashed us. Their early goal was a killer, as they scored after 30 seconds and
then we had Nicky sent off."

The Boss expects a spirited performance by the Chelsea players and fans, but that's
nothing different to what the Reds face every time they play away from home. Fergie
will just concentrate on his own gameplan, while formulating a new one for the
Champions League.

"Most teams are up for it when United come to town. I don't know what they'll be
thinking, but we don't worry about that. We've got our own agenda and our own
standards to reach.

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie says 'Elleray needs to Wise up'
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by tb:
We had a man sent off last year, and the referee didn't do his job properly," Fergie
said on Friday.

"It was a bad tackle on Nicky, and you would expect the referee to do his job properly
in that respect. It will be competitive, and it's up to the referee to stamp out
anything stupid.

"We got a stupid tackle last year that wasn't punished. The Charity Shield where Roy
was sent off was another one, where he was badly fouled and nothing was done.

"I hope it doesn't come down to the referee controlling the game, as there are too
many good players on the pitch for that. We have to make sure we go down there and
play football like we always do.

"I don't need to remind my players to keep their cool. Our disciplinary record is the
best in the country."

---------------------------------
[4] Confirmation of Liverpool details
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Liverpool v Manchester United
Anfield, Saturday 31st March, Kick off 12pm.

We have received an allocation of approximately 3000 tickets priced £26 adults £13
under 16's/over 65's. Postal applications are now being accepted from Season Ticket
Holders on production of voucher 36 (duly completed), letter of application, open
cheque (made payable to MUFC), sae and the following 5 match vouchers properly affixed
to the official token sheet: 31 (RSC Anderlecht) 32 (PSV Eindhoven) 33 (Dynamo Kiev)
34 (Panathinaikos) and 37 (West Ham United).

Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their facilities held.

All applications need to be received in the Ticket Office no later than 5p.m. on
Friday 16th February. As we anticipate being heavily oversubscribed a postal ballot
will be held to determine the successful applicants.'

---------------------------------
[3] Wenger moans again
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Would Viera have been charged if he were not on Sky News every five minutes? You have
to ask yourself if players are more likely to be punished if their matches are on TV.
For me it can only be right if everybody is put under the same scrutiny.I'm not saying
that the FA must do that here but what we have now in England are only guidelines, not
rules. And it can be very confusing. You just don't know whether you are going to be
done or not."

Surely video is the only way you get to see the game Wenger as you don't see it live,
ever, do you?

---------------------------------
[2] Could have been playing for us on Wednesday?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Valencia player Miguel Angel Angulo: "Last year I reached a mutual agreement to sign
with Manchester United. It was a tacit agreement, but it ultimately fell through."

"It is too soon to exclude Valencia from the race for la Liga.  It is
difficult but it continues being possible" on their recent poor form.

---------------------------------
[1] Good news about Best
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
'George Best is having meals from his favourite restaurant delivered to his Belfast
hospital bed. He has eaten shellfish and other freshly prepared food from Grace
Neill's in Donaghadee, County Down.'

Grace Neill's chef and owner Stephen Jeffers told the BBC that: "I know the sort of
style of food he likes so I make a little surprise up for him every day."

Best said: "I've still got pretty bad jaundice, some mornings when I get up. It's
really quite bad and I think even the professor was disappointed with my progress. In
fact, according to professor Williams, that's what makes the liver such a fascinating
organ, because you never quite know how it's going to react. It's been 11 months now
and it's not really fully cleared up. So, he's going to try something a little bit
different, medication wise. But, after I've done my Saturday stint at Sky, I'll stay
over in London and see him again on Monday, for some blood tests, just to keep a check
on things. I know I need to have another biopsy at some stage soon. But we'll get
there in the end."

---------------------------------
[39] MEN - McClaren on his way to anorak land
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Steve McClaren will be ready to fly to New York to add to his vast
coaching dossier when Manchester United's link-up with the Yankees
kicks in. The Reds and their new American partners will explore ways of sharing
knowledge on and off the pitch.

Innovative coach McClaren will tap into the Yankees' know-how as soon
as he gets the green light. Sir Alex Ferguson's number two is a keen student of
coaching  techniques and has already been around Europe and Australia to add to  his
variety of ideas.

McClaren has been inspired by the likes of basketball superstar
Michael Johnson and the all-conquering Chicago Bulls basketball dream
team. Meanwhile, Sir Bobby Charlton believes United's deal could
rocket the Reds' stars and the Premiership's big names into an even
more lucrative wage world. Yankees' top name Derek Jeter is about to
sign an £80m contract and with new Old Trafford deals in the pipeline
for David Beckham and Ryan Giggs, the Reds could hike up their salary
ceiling.

Charlton believes they deserve it. "If we want to be the best, we
have to produce the best players. It doesn't matter how much we pay.
Nobody suggests the money paid to players is wrong. Fans support them
by going every week in droves".

---------------------------------
[38] Guess what the city player said?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Alfie Haaland on tomorrow's game...

"But we need to start winning games. We need, I think, a minimum of four wins from the
last 12 games. This is a massive game. It's a home game and we need to win and we need
the three points in front of our home fans."

massive count so far this season - 97398758947097046

---------------------------------
[37] Ali G - Becks & Posh interview
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Ali G has asked David Beckham if he could sleep with his wife during an interview for
Comic Relief. The spoof rapper also embarrassed Beckham by asking if he would rather
be with her fellow Spice Girl, Emma Bunton. He started off by warning Comic Relief
didn't mean the Man United star could talk in a silly voice.

The Beckhams sportingly faced Ali G for an interview to be televised on BBC 1 during
Comic Relief Night - March 16. The Manchester Evening News reports Ali asked Victoria:
"So tell me, is your little boy starting to put whole sentences together?"

The Spice Girl replied "He's learning the bits and pieces, so yeah," but the comic hit
back with "And what about Brooklyn?"

Ali also quizzed Victoria about her weight, asking: "Is you hoping to put on more
weight, I mean, obviously, you don't want to go as far as Sporty Spice."

He also kept a straight face as he asked the couple: "So they is some people who
suddenly get loads of money who become very tasteless. How has you two managed to
avoid that?"

Ali winds up the encounter by urging the audience to dig deep. "If you do make a
donation I will personally guarantee not a penny of the money you send to Lenny Henry
will go towards feeding his missus."

---------------------------------
[36] New Champs League player registrations
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Contrary to what I told you two days ago, Aimar is available for the
Valencia's next CL games.
New CL registrations :
Panathinaikos FC
16 Georgios SEITARIDIS
24 Dereck BOATENG
27 Andreas KOUTELIERIS
Valencia CF
12 Roberto AYALA
34 Fabio AURELIO
35 Pablo AIMAR
SK Sturm Graz
2 Peter HLINKA
23 Robert IBERTSBERGER
31 Mario HAAS
Manchester United FC
36 Luke CHADWICK
31 Darren FLETCHER

---------------------------------
[35] Chelsea player thought they would be up there with us
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mario Stanic said: "Honestly, I was thinking that after we won the Charity  Shield,
this was not going to be the year of Manchester United.  I thought that with our
quality, if we didn't win the title we would  be very close. But now with thirteen
games to go Manchester are so  far ahead. The power is psychological, they obviously
have quality,  but so do Arsenal and Liverpool and Chelsea, but what they do is  treat
every game the same.  They have tremendous willpower, even when they play the smaller
teams the will to win is immense, they fight for every ball and that  is something we
don't have at the moment."

---------------------------------
[34] Last six league results
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Sky

CHELSEA
Last six league results:
IPSWICH (A) D2-2 (Gudjohnsen 2)
ASTON VILLA (H) W1-0 (Hasselbaink)
ARSENAL (A) D1-1 (Terry)
IPSWICH (H) W4-1 (Poyet 2, Wise, Hasselbaink pen)
NEWCASTLE (H) W3-1 (Zola, Poyet, Gronkjaer)
LEICESTER (A) L1-2 (Hasselbaink)

MANCHESTER UNITED
NEWCASTLE (A) D1-1 (Beckham pen)
WEST HAM (H) W3-1 (Solskjaer, S.Pearce og, Yorke)
BRADFORD (A) W3-0 (Sheringham, Giggs, Chadwick)
ASTON VILLA (H) W2-0 (G.Neville, Sheringham)
SUNDERLAND (A) W1-0 (Cole) - Cole sent off
EVERTON (H) W1-0 (Cole)

---------------------------------
[33] Betting for tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Chelsea 7/4, Manchester Utd 6/4, Draw 2/1

---------------------------------
[32] Skip to my Lou on relegation
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Macari: "We went down in 1974 and then we got back into what is  now the Premiership.
We couldn't win it because Liverpool had an  exceptionally good side at the time, but
we finished second or third,  that was the best we could do. We went to a cup final
and beat them
there which was pleasing as we'd lost an earlier final to  Southampton.

They were better on the day, but I don't think that could happen now  because there is
such a gap between the Manchester Untieds of this  world and the smaller teams, but in
my day an upset like that was on  the cards, it could happen.  I was quite happy with
my 11 years at Old Trafford. It's a great  place to be, but I don't have to tell you
that, do I?"

---------------------------------
[31] FA statement tells us nothing!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The statement read: "Following recent reports surrounding the FA's disciplinary system
the FA would like to make our position clear. At a meeting of the six secretaries this
week (PFA, LMA, Premier League, FL, FA and the FAW), it was agreed the disciplinary
guidelines were working well and were unanimously supported by all sides. The FA's
chief executive Adam Crozier today met with the FA disciplinary sub-committee at which
everyone reaffirmed support for the procedures agreed at the start of the season.

After the meeting Adam Crozier said: "From the outset consistency has been our aim
when administering disciplinary penalties. That remains the objective. Everyone in the
game has agreed to this. Clubs and players need to understand what actions they will
face if serious offences are committed. We must now ensure that the process is
enforced rigidly."

---------------------------------
[30] Scholes on England
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I'm not over-confident, no about World Cup qualifying. To get there, we're going to
have to win every game from now on and it's going to be very  difficult. Hopefully we
can do it. Through the play-offs was the way we qualified for Euro 2000. It's not the
ideal way to qualify, but if that's the  route we've got to go down, we'll settle for
that if we have to.  Winning every game is going to be very difficult. If we set our
sights on second place and hopefully get in a play-off - I think we'll  settle for
that."

---------------------------------
[29] Player of the month - for what exactly?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Leeds' on-loan striker Robbie Keane has won the Carling player of the month award for
January'.

The Carling awards panel said: "Robbie Keane has shown a temperament beyond his years
during the spell at Inter Milan and subsequent return to English football. Since his
loan move to Leeds he has scored six goals and reaffirmed himself as one of the best
strikers in the Carling Premiership. It is also no surprise to see that United's
recent upturn in form has gone hand in hand with Keane's signing."

Terry Venables won manager of the month.

We'll just wait for the main prizes in May as usual.

---------------------------------
[28] Squads for Chelsea
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Team (from): Cudicini, de Goey, Bosnich, Ferrer, Melchiot, Desailly, Terry, Leboeuf,
Issa, Harley, Babayaro, Le Saux, Wise, Poyet, dalla Bona, Jokanovic, Gronkjaer,
Stanic, Hasselbaink, Zola, Gudjohnsen.

Team (from): Barthez, G Neville, Stam, Brown, Silvestre, Beckham, Keane, Butt, Giggs,
Cole, Sheringham, P Neville, Scholes, Yorke, Solskjaer, Irwin, Chadwick, Wallwork, van
der Gouw.

---------------------------------
[27] Rumour that Becks & Posh left Eminem
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Meanwhile, David and Victoria Beckham stormed out of the concert
after just 15 minutes. A close friend said: "They were just so disgusted they had to
leave.  They said they thought it was so terrible Brooklyn would have to grow  up in a
world where Eminem was a star."

What were they expecting to hear!

---------------------------------
[26] Collymore sees his future
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I retire, I want to begin work in the cinema and the television. I want to be
the first black 007."

---------------------------------
[25] Eminem - Becks and Posh attend
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Even though the singer once had a dig at the Spice Girls, Becks and Victoria had front
row seats for last night's concert.

[24] Luke Chadwick in
Posted Friday, February 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Our new European Champions League squad. He comes in, Bosnich is obviously out!