RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[7] Opta stats for Southampton
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
Us first

17  Games 16
ATTACKING
37  Goals scored 17
2.18  Ave goals per game 1.06
48%  Shooting Accuracy 41%
15%  Goals to shots % 9%

PASSING
9,164  Passes 5,505
82%  Pass completion % 71%

DEFENDING
71%  Tackle success rate % 75%
27  Goals conceded 24
1.59  Ave goals conceded per game 1.50

DISCIPLINE
250  Fouls 261
26  Yellow cards 14
1  Red cards 3

---------------------------------
[6] David Gill strokes his white pussy
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
On the Budweiser deal (and cue sanctimonious guff from the papers after the sheep
trial). From Teamtalk

"At Old Trafford we always like to make the best signings, and in Budweiser we have
found a sponsor whose record of success and global popularity matches our own.
"This new partnership means once again Manchester United is joining forces with one of
the world's best known consumer brands, and we look forward to working with Budweiser
both at home and around the world in the years to come."

As the club's official beer sponsor, Budweiser will have exclusive beer pouring rights
at Old Trafford, receive on-field, in-stadium and concourse signage and have the right
to use the official marks and logos of the club in advertising, promotions and
packaging.

Tony Ponturo, vice-president of global media and sports marketing at the makers of
Budweiser, Anheuser-Busch, Inc , added: "Budweiser's partnership with Manchester
United is an outstanding fit, bringing together two brands with a commitment to
quality and a dedication to being the best that is unmatched in each of their
respective fields.
"As soccer fans know (it's football mate), the club's reach - like Budweiser's - is
truly global and this deal allows us to promote our brand to millions of Manchester
United fans in dozens of international markets across Europe, Asia and Latin America.
We're looking forward to a long and successful partnership as we work together to
promote our brands around the world."

---------------------------------
[5] All ingerlunds fault
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
As Becks confesses:

"It's been a big season with England more than anything else," he said.
"The qualifying games, every one has been a big game, and I suppose it has taken its
toll on my physically and mentally.
"Every game was a big game and I probably needed the rest and the manager has given me
that.
"But for anyone to say I don't give 110 per cent in a United game, that would upset me
for people to say that."

---------------------------------
[4] More dodgy backs
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
Becks on his lumbar regions:

"The manager has been resting me and the press have been having a field day," he said
on MUTV.
"Trust me, I really was injured. I've had a few days off and it's done me good.
"I said to the manager 'this back injury is not going away' and it wasn't.
"A couple of reporters questioned the back injury, but hopefully they will believe me
now.
"It's gone away now. The rest is definitely what I needed. Even being on the bench you
are still preparing for games and training every day and that wasn't rest for me.
"The manager said we could try that, but it just didn't work.
"Last week he said just go away and relax, don't train for three days and then come
back.
"I've done that and touch wood I've not had any reaction from the back."

---------------------------------
[3] Becks: no new boss demands
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
"I've not demanded to know who the manager will be," he said.
"I would like to know who the manager will be, but I would not delay signing a
contract just to find out who the next manager is."

---------------------------------
[2] Round and round
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
Becks on his contract negotiations

"There was another round of talks last week.
"The talks are still going on and we're getting closer, but it has to be right.
"Everyone knows I want to stay at Man United. This is where I've been brought up and
it's a way of life for me.
"My dad and my whole family are Man United supporters and I don't see any reason why I
would want to leave this club and the fans know that.
"They're the reason why I want to stay at Man United. They've brought me through a lot
of ups and downs and this is a place I love.
"I said last week that it would not be sorted before Christmas, but I want to get it
sorted as soon as possible. It's out of my hands at the moment."

---------------------------------
[1] Casualty
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2001 by tb:
The Red News Xmas party resembled an out patients dept, with bad backs and even worse
knees being the main topics of discussion. More like a sketch of the old gits than a
happening party.

Still my head tells me that a reasonable amount of Guinness passed my lips, so
apologies in advance for any typos!

[14] News is a bit thin on the ground ...
Posted Friday, December 21, 2001 by redend:

... over the next 2 or days with the whole Red News team on the lash pre &/or post
match.