RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[19] Keano book update?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
Apparently his publishers have planned an updated version to be released later on in
the year.

---------------------------------
[18] Rio on us
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"I am definitely pleased to be playing again in front of such a big crowd and for them
to get behind you, hearing them roar, is an unbelieveable feeling and long may it
continue.

"The fans are brilliant they sing their hearts out and get behind the team - they want
success and the desire spreads on to us as players."

---------------------------------
[17] Rio wants no stains on his sheets
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"My home Premiership debut, beating Middlesbrough in midweek and getting Man of the
Match as well, was just a dream come true." he says.

"We could have had more goals, but it kept it ticking over until after the
internationals.

"I know 1-0 games aren't really a United scoreline - especially after the same result
against West Brom on the opening day - but we have to make sure we get the results, no
matter how.

"Getting the result is the most important thing. If we get 20 1-0s through the season
we will be happy, believe me.

"I'm sure the fans would sooner see us win 1-0 than lose 4-3. For me, as a defender,
it was satisfying because I'm paid to keep clean sheets. And if we can keep more of
those we are bound to win more games."

---------------------------------
[16] Rio knows which side his bread is buttered
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"I have joined a club with great traditions.

"United have a reputation for winning things, there are some great players at the club
and the move was a great opportunity to follow in that line.

"There is a charisma and a character at the club because they have done so well over
the last decade by winning so much.

"However, it's not just about the past. The players at Old "Trafford are hungry for
more success and I am so glad to be a part of that." Although Ferdinand never expected
problems settling into a squad where he knew so many players anyway, he's been bowled
over by the family-orientated nature of the United dressing room.

"It's good and I'm enjoying it more than I can say. All the players have made it very
easy for me to settle in here. They are just a great bunch of lads.

"I get on well with all of them. They are all brilliant, relaxed but very focused on
what they want to achieve.

"The ambience in the dressing room is absolutely superb and there are one or two
jokers in the pack. But whatever people might think we're all together and there are
no outsiders."

---------------------------------
[15] Rio: No snap decsion
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"Some people think I made my decision overnight, but it simply wasn't the case and I'd
like the fans to know that.

"I appreciate everything that Leeds United did for me and I'll never regret leaving
West Ham to go there.

"But, at the time, I just thought that the move to Manchester United was such a good
opportunity for myself and my career that I couldn't turn it down and I know I was
right.

"I spoke to my family and friends and a lot of other people who have helped me in my
career about the issue and then I made my mind up to go to Manchester United.

"I am not going to look back. I am pleased with my decision because I am here at a
great club and I couldn't be happier.

"Leeds are a great club too, but I have come to another one with history and tradition.

---------------------------------
[14] Rio knows the score
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"I don't honestly know how they are going to treat me when I get back there next
Saturday, but I suppose I have a fair idea!"

"Obviously, in an ideal world you would like them to give you a good reception and
hope they remember the good times we had together.

"But I am not naive enough to think that that is going to happen because I will be
playing for Manchester United and I will be doing my utmost to make sure United get
the result the players and our fans want."

---------------------------------
[13] O'Dreary on the 'atmosphere'
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"I didn't appreciate the rivalry between the teams before I came up from London.

"I always thought it couldn't get much more hostile than Spurs v Arsenal, but this
game can be something else.

"I am sure everyone will be sensible, though. I have spoken to Rio and he knows the
sensitivity of the occasion."

And he's going back to comment for Sky

---------------------------------
[12] O'Dreary on Rio and next weekend
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"All I can say is that I don't think it will bother him in the slightest."

"He wasn't bothered about all the money that's been spent on him, and he won't be
affected by this."

"The great thing that impresses me about him is his mental strength. And I think
mentally he's getting stronger and stronger.

"I made him captain at Leeds because I wanted him to be more responsible. And he took
on the leadership role early doors.

"He's got so many strengths. He's quick, strong, good on the ball, he can get across
and cover and is great at coming out of defence."

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie - Money talks loudest
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"Football has progressed, you can't say the European Cup was better in the days when
you had to play only eight or nine games to win it," says Fergie.

"And when we won the European Cup, proving ourselves to be the best team in Europe at
the time, we didn't win the Premiership the previous season.

"In terms of the number of games played now, you don't want to drain players too much.

"But the Champions League was always going to change once UEFA saw the potential TV
revenue."

---------------------------------
[10] Fegie on Bayer & Olympiakos
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"It's a good draw - we can't complain about it.

"Leverkusen is going to be the talking point because of the semi-final business last
season, but we couldn't have asked for a better draw."

"They've lost 17 goals from midfield through Michael Ballack's departure to Bayern
Munich, but Leverkusen's coach Klaus Toppmoller is clever.

"He's brought in good young players from lower divisions and I think his players will
be well prepared.

"They are an attacking side at home, so we'll have a job to do. But we start with a
home game against Maccabi and we need to win that and hope Leverkusen start with a
draw against Olympiakos.

"Olympiakos are another team we know through playing them twice last season, so we are
happy."

---------------------------------
[9] That joke isn't funny anymore
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
Fergie on CL performances last season:

"We can take strength from the fact that our best performances last season were in the
Champions League.

"We played 16 matches and lost only two - and they were in the first group stage
against Deportivo La Coruna and that was down to the comedy of the goals we conceded."

---------------------------------
[8] Shareholders Utd on Edwards
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
Chair Jonathan Michie:

"The best signal the club could send out would be for Martin Edwards to go and be
replaced by a Shareholders United representative on the plc board.

"We would like Martin Edwards to resign both from the plc board and as chairman of the
football club. Ideally, we would like him not to have any relationship with the
running of the plc or the club.

"Supporters and shareholders have been opposed to him since his failed attempt to sell
the club to BSkyB."

"Martin Edwards has made a fortune from Manchester United. We would like to see United
owned by fans, not people whose sole interest is profi

---------------------------------
[7] Diadora stick by their man
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
To the tune of a new 3 year deal worth 1.8 million

"We've no problem at all with Roy. We sponsor him for his footballing abilities and we
have no complaints about that."

---------------------------------
[6] Andy Gray on Fergie V Sven
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
>From the Sunday M****r:

'I think this was Fergie putting the interests of Manchester United above those of
England.

Having suffered the same kind of injury that Scholes has myself I know that 72 hours
is a long enough time for it to heal sufficiently to play.

I admit I was surprised that Scholes played such a big part in the United game,
particularly as the longer he played the more likely it would be that the injury would
flare up again.

But what was Fergie supposed to do? United want to win the Premiership and he has
already lost Roy Keane.

Put yourself in his position. You are without your captain for months and Paul Scholes
has got a niggling ankle injury which threatens to put him out for weeks.

Sven rings up and asks about Scholes and Fergie (right) says the boy is struggling and
won't be available. Three days later the player has recovered sufficiently to make it
worth taking a gamble on him in a Premier League game that Fergie needs to win, so he
plays him.

After the game Scholes says the injury has flared up again but he still wants to play
for England. There's absolutely no way Fergie is going to say "Okay, well off you go
to play in a friendly England match" and pray he doesn't get hurt.

Eriksson says he wouldn't have played him if he was unfit, so what is the point of
sending the lad in the first place?'

---------------------------------
[5]  Fergie denies a snub to Sven
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"I did not snub Sven Goran Eriksson at any time. I'd never do that.

"Sven and I discussed the situation about Scholes and David Beckham after the
Middlesbrough match. I told him I had no objection to both players joining up with the
England squad if he wanted them to be part of the get-together.

"But he said under the circumstances it would be better if they stayed at the club and
were treated for their injuries.'

---------------------------------
[4] Jaapster bites back
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"You have to say it's very hypocritical, one rule for one and one for another. But
obviously Ferguson felt that the things in Roy's book were true and everything I wrote
was just a pack of lies."

"I was told that Ferguson read Keane's book before it was published but when you see
all the trouble the book is causing I can't believe he gave it his blessing. The
serialisation of my book caused a massive storm.

"When all that is taken into consideration, I have to say I cannot believe Ferguson
said to him: 'Okay, Roy, that's a fine book, you're right to publish it.'"

---------------------------------
[3] But is he worth the mither?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
Eric's old boss Guy Roux:

"Philippe possesses more defensive qualities than Laurent Blanc, but he's not so much
at ease going forward. He is a very clean and tidy defender and needs to learn. But
he'll be a great player."

---------------------------------
[2]  But is playinng hard to get
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
"Arsenal are a very big club with a great manager and if they were interested then I'd
have to seriously consider it."

---------------------------------
[1] J'accuse
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2002 by tb:
Mexes on Fergie's overtures:

"Alex Ferguson has been trying to get me to sign for some time now. During the 1998
Easter holidays, he invited me to visit the set-up at Manchester United with my
parents and my sister. We stayed for three or four days and it was all very
impressive. Ferguson has also given me a shirt with the number six on it.

"It had ‘Mexes' written across the back and I've still got it at home now. He always
sends me Christmas cards as well. I've had them each year for a few years now and he
also sends one to my parents!

"Two years ago I even got a letter from Eric Cantona trying to persuade me to go to
Old Trafford. I couldn't believe it. I never expected to receive a letter from someone
like him or letters from Ferguson. It's amazing. My parents have kept the one from
Eric."

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.