RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[32] Short and simple of it
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Fergie

"We must score and we will"

---------------------------------
[31] More Fergie on Fabien
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"Fabien's doing bits of training, but we have to be careful with his goalkeeping
training that he doesn't injure himself further, as it's a delicate part of a
goalkeeper, the hip. Hopefully he'll be back soon."

---------------------------------
[30] Fergie on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"Our concentration has to be good. That is the biggest threat to us"

---------------------------------
[29] More from Rennes
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"We are expecting another offer but our talks have been inconclusive and we are not
very near reaching an agreement. We don't want to let Escudé go and Manchester United
don't seem to have the money to sign him."

---------------------------------
[28] More from their Boss
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"There are only a few clubs in Hungary who do not have financial problems and we are
not one of them. But, if we beat Manchester, the money from qualifying will mean we
have no more problems for the next two years. We will have to defend well because
Manchester United will force us to. But we are not here to put up a wall. We intend to
attack our opponents, just as we did in Budapest. We actually think Manchester
United's defence is their weak point. We will try to find gaps because, if we score an
away goal, it will be very difficult for them."

---------------------------------
[27] ZTE boss a Hungarian hero
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"It has reached the point where the players and myself cannot walk through
Zalaegerszeg without being stopped in the street. Everyone wants to wish us good luck.
You have to understand the differences between the two countries. The economics and
financial set-up in Hungary are so different from England and it's reflected in the
players we have. Our team cost no more than £150,000-£200,000 to put together. Is that
enough to pay David Beckham for a month or two?"

---------------------------------
[26] city - not only the biggest ....
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
.. but also the fastest too?

Nice to see liddle siddy's players joining in with the spirit of things as the huge
Stockport fanbase prepares for an all out assault on Europe .... after their complete
and utter annihilation [1 - 0] of one of Europe's top teams (err ... Newcastle).

These words from the mouth of Darren (Forrest Gump) Huckerby in The Daily Express Mon
26th.:

"I don't know who is quickest between me and Nicolaus but we can both do 100 metres in
10 seconds."
[Yeah - I could too - on a motorbike you tw@t]

Incidently, the world record is 9.79 seconds held by Maurice Greene, and Britain's
fastest man this year (Dwain CHambers) has run 9.98 - the first non wind assisted sub
10 second 100m in British history.

Truely we are missing out on Huckerby in our athletics team, with him, I'm sure we'd
be Massive.

(sent in by Lewis)

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie on Barthez
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"We are having to be careful with him because the injury is very delicate. While he is
able to do the rest of the training, he cannot dive."

---------------------------------
[24] Rio still rested?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Fergie

"Rio has trained for the last two days and is very close to being able to play - but
Saturday is going to be more likely."

---------------------------------
[23] Webber a chance
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Might be worth giving him a shout when his loan spell ends next month as once again he
scored for Watford (in a 5-2 win over Coventry) and was very lively as he earnt the
man of the match award from SKY. Yes I am that sad that I watched it.

---------------------------------
[22] Keepers linked?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
We were linked with 3 keepers at the weekend: Sullivan, Poom and Kelly

Sullivan broke his thumb - out for 8 weeks
Kelly - isn't one of Keano's favourite players after the World Cup
Poom - looks most likely and Derby badly need the money

---------------------------------
[21] Where is ours!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Keano's book is now on sale in Ireland - although not in England unless you have a
very sharp bookseller in your area.

The NUMBER 1 BESTSELLER:  http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542 KEANE - THE
AUTOBIOGRAPHY.

Not published until 30th August but you can pre-order it
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542 HERE and have it delivered to your door
as soon as its out, and NOW (Aug 19th) at a 30% discount.
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[20] Giggsy on Champions League
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
 "The Champions League is the biggest stage and you are up against the very best. I am
not thinking about not being in it. I just want to get on with this game. We know the
ability we have, we just have to put it on the pitch. We felt we had dominated that
game and should have scored, but they scored so late and we did not have a chance to
come back. It hurt to lose over there. The conditions were difficult and we just did
not get our passing going as we would have liked. After the game there was a very
empty feeling in our stomachs - but, at the same time, as soon as the game finished we
could not wait for this second leg. We are aware of how important an away goal could
be to them so our concentration will have to be at its best. On Friday in the
second-half against Chelsea we proved what we can do. That is the sort of football we
will be aiming for throughout the 90 minutes in this game. We're ready."

---------------------------------
[19] Fergie up for it
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"If we play to our capabilities and anything approaching what we did on Friday night
we will win easily. If we do not win, it would be very serious. But losing isn't
something I contemplate. It won't happen. The concentration level has to be good and I
expect it to be. I didn't see anything in the game over there which I did not expect
to see. We dominated the second-half, had five chances and lost to a late goal. They
were in their own country and we dominated the match! The threat to us will be our
lack of concentration. But what happened over there will make us focused. We have
enjoyed great games in the competition over the last eight years. It's the only place
to be."

---------------------------------
[18] Ever met a United player?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Any funny/serious/bizarre encounters with United players past or present - any
memories at all you think our readers would be interested in send them to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks

We're looking for your great and unique memories from the 2nd Division season. If you
have short tales from that year - whether it be the season itself, specific games, at
Old Trafford or places like Millwall and Blackpool send them in. The games, the
memories, the craic, anything and everything - we're after your tales. Send to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks

---------------------------------
[17] Choccy on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"The Hungarians will come here trying to play down their chances in public but
believing in private they will never come much closer to a real giant-killing than
they are now. They will try and be relaxed; they will know everything about every one
of our players and that will be helpful to them. They will believe that what happened
in Hungary can happen again if their attitude is right and provided they apply
themselves and United don't get it together. The way the team played at Stamford
Bridge is the biggest boost. It was an outstanding match and for me it was as good as
our team has played for quite a time. To play as well as that at such an early stage
of the season is very impressive.  It is the standard the boss has set for the club
and the standard the players will be expected to again produce in Europe. "

---------------------------------
[16] Get the current Red News tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Issue 87 is the current Red News on sale for the ZTE game. Just £1.50. Catch an
exclusive short chat with Eric Cantona. An indepth look at our new Number 2. Keano,
Gossip. The World Cup, the Commonwealth games, we've got it all. Oh and a bit about
someone called Rio.

card payment, ordering online from wherever you live in the world, getting the mag to
your door.

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to a UK address click on

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to an address in the rest of the world click on

And those philanthropists out there can help with our costs by making an online
donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit helps with the
costs of the site - thanks. click on.

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
"They fought like tigers in the first leg and I don't think they will do anything
different this time. It wouldn't be a bad idea if they came over here to play - but
somehow I doubt they will."

---------------------------------
[13] Keeper on money gap
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Sasa Ilic

 "Whether you earn £500 or £50,000 a week everyone can play football. The mistake
which United made against us was underestimating what we could do. In the end I hardly
had anything to do during the first game. Now it is up to us to build on our
advantage."

---------------------------------
[12] We wanted United shirts
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Zalaegerszeg's Tamas Szamosi

"Their players behaved quite coldly at the end. During the match we agreed on who
would exchange jerseys with whom, but they refused after the final whistle and made us
quite angry.  They were obviously mad about the result. Now I wouldn't mind being
refused again - although a David Beckham jersey would mean a lot to me."

---------------------------------
[11] Escude deal off?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
Rennes spokesman

"There was no more money, so there is no agreement. Maybe there will be another
meeting at some point but at the moment nothing has been arranged. We will wait to see
what Manchester United do now."

wasted Paris meet for cuddly Pete?

---------------------------------
[10] Tommy Doc on tactics
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by db:
 "Sir Alex can forget any fancy ideas and start by putting down two names on the team
sheet ahead of all the rest - Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.  He has to play 4-4-2. That
means David Beckham and Roy Keane will be the other midfielders. Giggs is a class act.
He thrills crowds with his blistering runs, but he is not a prolific goalscorer and
how many times does he do something sensational only to let you down with his final
touch? They know they cannot take anything for granted. They learned a lesson a
fortnight ago when they should have had things tied up in the first leg against the
Hungarians but let it slip. Being honest they hammered them, only to be hit by a
sucker punch right on the final whistle"

---------------------------------
[9] Keano to score first?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
RED HOT TIPS fancies Keano to score first, reasoning that he's good value at 14/1 when
you look at the way he's got forward in recent matches and he's the man to take the
lead in these situations ... well - if Ruud doesn't beat him to it ... oh, and Blanc
is still reasonable value at 25:1

The odds:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy  9/4
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer  5/2
Diego Forlan  5/1
David Beckham  6/1
Paul Scholes  6/1
Ryan Giggs  8/1
Juan Sebastian Veron  10/1
Roy Keane  14/1
Quinton Fortune  16/1
Nicky Butt  22/1
Laurent Blanc  25/1
John O'Shea  33/1
Phil Neville  33/1
Rio Ferdinand  33/1
Mikael Silvestre  40/1

Who'll be first to slot one into the Hungarian box?
http://www.rednews.co.uk/BetSpOdds.php Sporting Odds

---------------------------------
[8] Half Time : Full Time
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
Results at Half Time & Full Time doubles:

Manchester United | Manchester United     2/7
Manchester United | Draw     66/1
Manchester United | Zalaegerszeg     250/1
Draw | Manchester United     3/1
Draw | Draw     11/1
Draw | Zalaegerszeg     66/1
Zalaegerszeg | Manchester United     40/1
Zalaegerszeg | Draw     66/1
Zalaegerszeg | Zalaegerszeg     66/1

More selections at  http://www.rednews.co.uk/BetSpOdds.php Sporting Odds

---------------------------------
[7] Correct Score tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
United to win by:

1-0  11/2
2-0  5/1
2-1  16/1
3-0  5/1
3-1  16/1
3-2  100/1
4-0  11/2
4-1  14/1
4-2  80/1
5-0  9/1
5-1  18/1
5-2  150/1
6-0  18/1
6-1  50/1
6-2  250/1
More selections at  http://www.rednews.co.uk/BetSpOdds.php Sporting Odds

---------------------------------
[6] United strong favourites
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
Manchester United     1/10
Zalaegerszeg     20/1
Draw     11/2

More selections at  http://www.rednews.co.uk/BetSpOdds.php Sporting Odds

---------------------------------
[5]Ticket details - Charlton away
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
On Saturday 28th September, United are away to Charlton Athletic, kick off 3pm.

We will receive an allocation of approximately 2,900 tickets, priced £30 adults, £25
over 65s and £20 under 16s. Season Ticket Holders only, who have purchased the
following 8 match vouchers from last season (2001/2002): 31 (Lille OSC) 32 (Deportivo
la Coruna) 33 (Olympiakos) 34 (Boavista) 35 (Nantes) and 36 (Bayern Munich) 37
(Deportivo la Coruna) 38 (Bayer Leverkusen) are invited to register an application for
this game by telephoning the Ticket Order Line on 0870 442 1999 at the following times:

Tuesday 27th August 8am until 8pm Wednesday 28th August 8am until 6pm Thursday 29th
August 8am until 6pm

Please note tickets are not allocated on a first come first served basis. Multiple
applications up to a maximum of 4 will continue to be accepted. If successful, tickets
will be sent to the Season Ticket holder who registered the application.

All payments must be made by either debit/credit card, however please note that an
administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged for this service.

Successful applicants will be determined by automated random ballot and for early
games we will continue to inform unsuccessful applicants by letter, however it is our
intention to fully automate this process and this will be communicated at the
appropriate time.

Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their membership number and facilities held. All applications need to be
received in the Ticket Office no later than 5pm on Thursday 29th August.

---------------------------------
[4]Manchester United - Classic Matches
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
This video will make you wet your pants - or your money back - guaranteed. [We have
made an appointment (in-house) of a professional pantsniffer who will need to
thoroughly investigate any claims].

   http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000068909
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news
   2 VIDEO  http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000068909
Manchester United - Classic Matches (VHS VIDEO)

 This video includes highlights from six games taken from four decades of unstoppable
sucess for Manchester United.

Match list: Manchester United vs Southampton (1971), Manchester United vs Barcelona
(1984), Arsenal vs Manchester United, Manchester United vs Manchester City (1994),
Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United (1999), Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur
(5-3). ....

 VIDEO Price: £ 10.99
 (approx. price check latest price
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000068909 here)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000068909 CLICK HERE FOR MORE
INFO

---------------------------------
[3] Ticket details - Everton home
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
On Monday 7 October, United are at home to Everton, kick off 8pm.

Postal applications are now being accepted from Members only. Applications should
include a completed match ticket order form, relevant payment and sae. Alternatively,
make an online application. However, please note these applications will be given the
same consideration as postal requests.

JUNIOR TICKET SCHEME - we are pleased to announce that the junior ticket scheme will
continue for 11 to 15 year olds only. A set number of seats (strictly for junior
members only) will be allocated for every home game in the East Lower section of the
stadium. Junior members wishing to take up the offer must complete the appropriate
section on the match ticket order form.

Any new Members who have not yet received their membership packs can also apply for
either game by forwarding a letter of application quoting Name, Address and Telephone
details of each Member, relevant payment and sae.

Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a ballot will be held to determine
the successful applicants.

Furthermore, Members should be mindful of the following points:

1) The Family Stand has a strict no smoking policy 2) Access to the North Stand 2nd /
3rd tier and East / West Stand 2nd tier seating involves a substantial amount of
climbing. Persons having difficulty with climbing or suffering from vertigo are
advised accordingly.

---------------------------------
[2] United to win European Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
The odds are likely to drop after tonights match - provided we win of course:

Manchester United     7/1

More odds from  http://www.rednews.co.uk/BetSpOdds.php Sporting Odds

---------------------------------
[1] AP:DOUBLE JEOPARDY
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2002 by redend:
Alex Plypin of the Bailey slips on his silks & wig:

Despite certain sad hacks' best efforts, the Keano/whoreland affair is withering on
the grapevine. Judge Jeffreys impersonators want to spin this out for as long as they
can; and whilst the screws' serialisation is fanning fading embers, it is all huff and
puff.

The ever-so aptly named midget scourge of taxi drivers breaks a colleague's jaw, and
Leicester can't even sack him? I know what would happen where I work, should I mete
out such rough justice to some very deserving cases - what is so different about
football? For that matter, why were not Lofthouse of bolton and McParland of villa
dragged in front of the courts for causing ABH to our goalkeepers - costing us 2 FA
Cup Finals? Alan Shearenvy's sickening thud of boot against a leicester player's head
is followed by him spitting his dummy out if anyone suggests that it might have been
deliberate.

I am not for going back to caseys, cork studs with rock-hard toecaps, and shirts that
would keep a bear warm in winter, but footie is still a contact sport - as far as I
know. Keano has already been punished once for what was recognised as being a
deliberate foul - so, how can he be punished again for the same offence?

AP

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.