Neu: 2001-09-13

Contents of this issue:

1. China Partner

2. Rumour Quashed

3. Pacific Songs

September 13th, 2001

1. China Partner:

During a visit to Niue the Peoples Republic of China Ambassador to New
Zealand, Niue and the Cook Islands HE Chen Mingming assured the island
government that China will be a long term partner in economic
development. He told TV Niue News he was impressed with Niue's public
health and education systems and said Niue had great potential for
development in agriculture and tourism. The Ambassador said Niue and
China have a strong relationship and hopes that it will be sustained and
flourish. China has contributed to decoders for the Broadcasting
Corporation to ensure

viewers pay licensing fees and has assisted with information technology.
Its understood some discussions on a request for a $2m soft loan for the
establishment of a Niue national airline were held with the island's
Cabinet and the China delegation.

2. Rumour Quashed:

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has angrily dismissed a rumour
predicting the 2003 Rugby World Cup could be shifted from Australia and
New Zealand to Europe. ARU managing director John O'Neill said the
claims, made in British

newspaper the Daily Mail, were untrue and mischievous. "We are duty
bound to respond every time this mischief surfaces," O'Neill said in a
statement.

"We are in the final stages of negotiating the Host Union Agreement
(HUA), which will be completed well in advance of similar negotiations
for the 1999 Cup in Wales and the 1995 Cup in South Africa." "The
negotiation is robust, as you would expect, but we are on track." The
report in the Mail claimed there were problems with the "financial

package" being put together by the host nations. "Australia is a country
with a wonderful record in hosting the world's biggest events," O'Neill
said. "We handled the Olympics extremely well and recently the Lions
tour and the Goodwill Games went off without a hitch. "The IRB has told
us there are no plans to relocate the tournament so

Australia and New Zealand are continuing with our plans, which are well
advanced."

England's Rugby Football Union (RFU) said on Tuesday that it was ready
to make a solo bid to stage the World Cup in 2007.(Reuters)

3. Pacific Songs:

The "Himene Patitifa" song contest will begin in Tahiti November 17th.

The contest is open to all Pacific songwriters and will continue until
February 2002.

The Oceanian Women's Association will participate in the event. Its
members come from French-speaking Pacific jurisdictions: French
Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, and Vanuatu. Women from
Fiji and Tonga also are expected to participate in the contest. An "Ori
Tahiti" dance contest also has been scheduled. It will take place March
8 - 15, 2002. Dance groups from Tahiti, California, Hawai'i, New
Zealand, New Caledonia and the Cook islands are expected to participate
in the event.(PIR)

__END__