Neu: 2001-12-07

Contents of this issue:

1. Alliance Choice

2. Freight Fee

3. Bad Bug

December 7th, 2001

1. Alliance Choice:

Opposition politicians plan to launch a co-ordinated challenge to the
Niue Peoples Party hold on power in the tiny South pacific island state.
Calling themselves the Alliance of Independents [AI], the opposition
group wants Niueans to tell them at public meetings how think the
world's smallest nation should be run.The first meeting is to be held at
Aliutu Hall Alofi 6.30 pm Sunday.

Consisting of seven independents, the group hopes that, with like-minded
supporters, AI candidates can contest all 20 village and common roll
seats at the general elections due next March.

Former cabinet minister Veve Jacobsen, the Alliances spokesperson,
told freelance Pacific affairs writer John Andrews that the opposition
group hoped to gain the necessary majority of 11 seats to take over
the reins of power.

But Premier Sani Lakatani has other ideas.

In an interview with Andrews in Auckland before setting off for a series
of University of South Pacific functions, Mr Lakatani said he was
confident that the ruling Niue Peoples Party's [NPP] candidates would
top the 11 elected to office in 1999.

I expect to get 11 again and I think we will get more than 14 next time,
he said. I think there's a 60 per cent chance of re-election.

If I get re-elected, I will go for the premiership. It [his election
bid] will be on the common roll.

I asked for the blessing of the party for me to carry on as leader of
the party, he said. It was almost unanimous.

Mr Lakatani believes Niueans have faith in his NPP government which had
achieved credibility by creating things for the people to do and
carrying out its social policies.

We have delivered more than 90 per cent of the promises of the election
in 1999, he told Andrews. What we promise this time, we hope to deliver
100 per cent.

Two promises which had failed to eventuate were an airline and the
unemployment benefit. Mr Lakatani hopes the air service issue will be
resolved early in the New Year.

While refusing to specify the next election date, he said he could
dissolve the Assembly on March 19, the third anniversary of the last
election and call for elections that month or in April.

The AI caucus has met to formulate a strategy for the election. With
Mrs Jacobsen in the group are independent MPs Terry Coe, Hunuki
Hunukitama, Peter Funaki, Talaitama Talaiti, Jack Willie Lipitoa and
John Operator Tiakia.

The group is releasing a public document inviting Niueans inside and
outside the Assembly to join the AI cause, the manifesto for which will
be drafted next month and launched in February.

We are looking at competing in every seat, said Mrs Jacobsen. The
document invites people [to stand] in village constituencies as well as
on the common roll.

Our attitude is that we would be far better to go on board with new
people than to go on board with people who are likely to be disloyal in
terms of the group.

We are committed to change. It will only come about if we offer a
choice.

If we are not seen to be united in our cause, we are going to be seen to
lose the plot.

We will agree to disagree, allowing the flexibility of not towing the
party line because parties, as we have seen in Niue, do not work.
Obviously it doesn't work in a small community.

Niuean voters would be given an option in the next election, which, Mrs
Jacobsen hopes, will bring about a committed change.

We know we are the underdogs and we have to play our hand
carefully, she said.

Mrs Jacobsen is making no secret of her desire to challenge for the
leadership of the AI but readily acknowledges it is an aspect upon which
her caucus colleagues have to rule.

We will have to name our leader before we go to the polls, she said.
Because I am spokesman [for the group] does not mean I will be leader.

Because I am a woman, I will have a difficult job to prove that I as a
woman can do the job. At the end of the day, caucus will decide and it
is caucus decision.

Toke Talagi, another prominent independent MP, said he would be seeking
re-election but he and two allied independents, Billy Talagi and
Pokotoa Sipeli, did not believe it was their interests to join any
existing party.

The idea that we should form another party is against my principles
because of the size of the [Niue] population, said Toke Talagi. It seems
ridiculous if three parties set themselves up.

He believes there is a good chance that his faction could end up holding
the balance of power.

[Note: Copyright reserved. This article cannot be reproduced without
permission of the author, freelance journalist John Andrews.]

2. Freight Fee :

Air New Zealand has introduced a new document handling fee that will
"significantly" add to the costs of exporters and importers. Big
freight-forwarder Mainfreight said yesterday that it would add "quite
significant extra costs for ourselves and our customers". A fee of $20
plus gst will be applied to all international air waybills

through the company's terminals in Auckland, Wellington and
Christchurch. An Air NZ spokeswoman would not reveal how much additional
revenue it would bring to the troubled airline that has required a $1
billion rescue package from the Government.

The new fee would be effective from January 28. Qantas and Singapore
Airlines had similar fees.

3. Bad Bug:

A disaster has been declared on Rarotonga following the discovery of a
fruit fly that could wipe out all fruit growing and exports. Ministry of
Agriculture policy and planning officer Patrick Arioka said male
Queensland fruit flies have been found in flytraps at two separate
locations, two days apart. This particular species of fruit fly can
destroy between 80 to 90 percent of any commercial fruit, including
noni, tomatoes, papayas, mangoes, guava and rose apples. It is found
only in Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia and parts of French Polynesia.
Mr. Arioka said it was suspected the fruit fly may have come from
plastic bags of fruit, dumped at the wharf by a visiting French naval
vessel. The dump has since been covered by soil. Spraying to destroy the
fruit fly cannot begin until the wet season ends, so Cook Islands
officials have set up bait traps. Fallen fruit is being collected and
buried.(Radio Australia/PIR)

__END__