Andrew,

I agree w/ Tom Johnson. However, with distant recordings not sure how you would rule out possible Lesser Yellowlegs. I have similar call (on which I leaned towards a Greater) posted at:

http://www.nightmigrants.com/main/page_species_calls_greater_yellowlegs.html

Mine is also not a great recording. Xeno-canto (http://xeno-canto.org/index.php)is a good place to go to listen to flight calls from both species and if you open a call up in Quicktime, you should be able to "right click" with your mouse and "save as source" so you can save the sound file to your computer and make your own spectrograms. Hope this helps.

Andy Martin
Gaithersburg, MD
apmart...@comcast.net

Andrew Albright wrote:
 Recorded Sunday am at 4:30am about 3-4 miles from Delaware Seashore.
2 miles from definite Clapper Rail habitat, Black Rail possible but
very very rare in southern Delaware.

 I have a very basic setup (no amplification) with a parabola pointed
straight up in the air.

  It really sounds exactly like a cross between an American Goldfinch
and a Black Rail to me, which is obviously an awfully odd combination.
I listened to all the shorebirds and yellowlegs also seems remotely
possible.  I have no idea if any of those species mentioned give
nocturnal night calls.

 Any help would be appreciated and apologies, it isn't really a great recording.

  Sincerely,
 Andrew Albright

http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html