> They will be left behind.  The choice was to move
> forward.

Blindly, without looking what others are doing or needing? I'm really curious
as to what kind of consideration was given to do the transition from one model
to another? I know that there has been some work in the Linux world to do
POSIX/NFSv4 mapping, was that possibility rejected for Solaris?

> At some point a decision has to be made to move
> forward.
> In the world of NFS, this has usually meant that
> previous versions can be served and in this one case,
> over the last 20 years, an inconvenient
> incompatibility
> has been created.  Of course, in those last 20 years,
> there hasn't been a standard ACL format so the issue
> is really moot.

The fact that there was, regrettably, no standard doesn't mean there was
nothing. Like people were already using word processors before ODF became a
standard, and ODF didn't suddenly become a worldwide success because it is a
standard.
I have those non-standard ACLs working right now on Linux systems, and they
will stay for a while, whether I like it or not.

I have the feeling that Sun didn't really try to convince others to follow
their steps, and just assumed the standard would automatically attract them. I
hope I'm wrong.

Laurent