On 11/06/09 12:42, Tom Haynes wrote:
> Rainer Orth wrote:
>> Tom,
>>

>>> Email is sometimes a bad communication medium, i.e., I'm not
>>> trying to be snotty with the following:
>>>
>>> You have the source to snv_124, you could add your own client
>>> providers and contribute back to OpenSolaris. The server providers
>>> were written by people who really needed them.
>>>

>> understood, but this would be a terrible waste of time if the work has
>> already been done or at least mostly done, as seems to be the case here.
>>
>>     Rainer

>> Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University
>>

> Just to confirm, no one is actively working on client providers. The
> person who
> did the v3 server provider was an intern and had a prototype for the
> client.
>
> It never went anywhere after that.
Just to elaborate on "It never went anywhere" part, in case someone is
interested in picking up the patch that Robert Gordon pointed to
(http://cr.opensolaris.org/~danhua/webrev/onnv-clone.patch.).

The prototype for the NFS v3 client provider was done by Danhua Shao. It
was working and also went through a code review process on nfs-discuss
alias.  The provider and the probes were demonstrated to work as
expected. The key issue in the current provider design is the use of
tsd_set and tsd_get functions in order to get a handle on RPC xid where
the probes get fired. The problem is that we need a reasonable way to
harvest the RPC xid in the higher level nfs functions. As of now, the
design uses tsd_set and tsd_get routines. I believe that there is high
overhead associated with the use of these functions. At the time this
work was done, we did not come out with a more appropriate approach to
harvest RPC xid values.

I am also attaching the written description of NFSv3 client provider
specification, which was posted earlier on these email aliases when the
work was being  done actively.

-Piyush