Hi Krishna,

If you're using a VFS-like FSAL, I wouldn't think you'd want to be
hard limited to 4K open files.

It could be useful to have more flexibility in (choice of?) LRU
reclaim strategy, but to start with, I'd raise this limit (on
Linux, /proc/sys/fs/nr_open, etc).

Matt

----- "Krishna Harathi" <khara...@exablox.com> wrote:

> To be clear, this comment cache_inode_lru.c did not help much.
>

> /* Set high and low watermark for cache entries. This seems a
> bit fishy, so come back and revisit this. */
> lru_state.entries_hiwat = cache_param.entries_hwmark;
> lru_state.entries_used = 0 ;
>

> Regards.
> Krishna Harathi
>
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Krishna Harathi <
> khara...@exablox.com > wrote:
>

> I am trying to determine the relation between the system imposed limit
> of max FDs (4096 now) and
> the Cache Inode HW Mark (100000 default).
>

> In a test work load, I am getting errno 24 (too many open files) error
> returned,
> and here is our current settings.
>

> 15/05/2015 18:48:23 : epoch 5556a1e7 : OneBlox-0333 :
> nfs-ganesha-12814[main] cache_inode_lru_pkginit :INODE LRU :INFO
> :Attempting to increase soft limit from 1024 to hard limit of 4096
> 15/05/2015 18:48:23 : epoch 5556a1e7 : OneBlox-0333 :
> nfs-ganesha-12814[main] cache_inode_lru_pkginit :INODE LRU :INFO
> :Setting the system-imposed limit on FDs to 4096
>

> I looked at the related code in Cache_inode but could not determine
> the relationship between
> the system limit and cache_inode or how many file FDs Ganesha will try
> to open.
>

> Any help is (1) What is the system limit to be set, given the default
> cache inode HWmark?
> (2) For the given system limit, what is the cache inode setting. We
> are using Ganesha 2.1.
>

> Regards.
> Krishna Harathi

> One dashboard for servers and applications across
> Physical-Virtual-Cloud
> Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable
> Insights

Matt Benjamin
CohortFS, LLC.
315 West Huron Street, Suite 140A