It is probably distro specific, but 4096 is the default NOFILE limit on
RHEL6/RHEL7 systems. It can be set to as high as 1024*1024. See
14447420966b9dfcdeb9975ac134a36613ade3c4 for further details on how it
is set to 1M by default for ganesha daemon. This is available in
2.2-stable.

Regards, Malahal.